PDA

View Full Version : Gonna do an experiment

jonk
07-24-2013, 10:42 PM
A number of years ago, when Grafs was out of Goex, I started using Schutzen powder. Plus it was slightly cheaper. Seemed to do fine, shot as well with slightly adjusted charges; I used it in my Kentucky .45 RB rifle, BP shotgun, and my CVA inline deer gun.

Then I got into skirmishing; having a healthy supply of the Schutzen on hand, I worked up loads using the Schutzen, and when I ran out, bought more.

The last few shoots, my buddies have given me a lot of crap about it, saying Goex is better (mind you they haven't shot Schutzen at all). Now, they could be right.

So, in the spirit on cooperation and desire to improve my shooting, this coming week I'm going to put 10 rounds of Schutzen loaded ammo vs. 10 rounds of Goex ammo using weighed bullets over a chronograph, and also measure group size. I'm not particularly interested in which has more oomph, i.e. speed, but which is more consistent in terms of standard deviation and velocity, and naturally which groups better. I will post results here.

Test firearms will be a Euroarms 2 band Enfield with Hoyt improved barrel and Pedersoli Sharps .54. Gonna run about 40 grains of 3F in the Enfield and about 39 gr of 2F in the Sharps.

Personally I've always suspected that Schutzen: 1. Is a tad slower by weight than Goex; 2. Burns cleaner; 3. Shoots about the same, albeit to a slightly lower point of impact than the Goex, but I'm more than happy to give it a try. Given it is made by Wano, who also makes Swiss, I'm thinking it is still high quality.

I'd also try Swiss, but while Swiss is always expensive, my local shop charges nearly $40 per pound for it! Not worth THAT, I can hold off and get a pound or two at Nationals for that experiment.