PDA

View Full Version : origional sharps

ian45662
07-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Anyone out there shooting original sharps carbines? Do they need tuned up like some of the repros do? How do they shoot?

Jim_Burgess_2078V
08-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Do you have any idea what an original Sharps in shooting condition (good bore and minimal erosion on gas check plate) is worth on the collector market? Shooting it, subjecting it to normal wear and tear and exposure to the elements will adversely affect its condition and value over time. There are plenty of reproductions out there today and no excuse to diminish the historic integrity of a piece of Civil War history. If you are tempted to shoot an original, I hope you are extremely careful in cleaning it afterward and you only shoot it on a very limited basis.
Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

ian45662
08-06-2013, 07:52 PM
I was just wondering. I have never seen an origional on the line. I dont suppose you would have to buy one that was ready to go. Instead get one that needs a reline mabey some work on the gas check and such. I know lots of guys who shoot origional guns that were not ready to go when they got them. My smith has a reline

marv762
08-06-2013, 09:28 PM
two members on our team shoot originals. they both have chamber sleeves done due to leaking issues. they both shoot very well. one has a slant breech that he has not had a chance to work on yet. Marv

ms3635v
08-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Ian, a former teammate on the 150th PA, Dave Oplinger, shot an original Sharps for years back in the late 70's. As I remember, it was very accurate and the only issue I remember was Dave had to clean the breech block after each event, but boy did he break a lot of targets.

Charlie Hahn
08-07-2013, 08:25 AM
I have set up several originals for Skirmishing, usually replace the block and rework the back of the barrel. I try not to permanently alter original features so it can be returned to original condition. The owners report good down range results.

Charlie

ian45662
08-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Very interesting. I figured there were some floating around out there but I have just never seen any. Or maybe I have and just didnt know