PDA

View Full Version : Euroarms Mississippi bullets

Capnball
07-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Ok, so I've looked at moose's Wilkinson bullet. Question from a noob: how does it work? I mean, expanding, patched, etc...Also, for others with Euroarms Mississippis, what's the most accurate hollow base bullet in these? Thanks!

Maillemaker
07-19-2013, 11:16 AM
My understanding is that the Wilkinson bullet works by compressing the lead axially, forcing it to expand radially.

Steve

Capnball
07-19-2013, 11:31 AM
Makes sense. How much undersized can you size them?

ms3635v
07-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Capnball. I shoot a Euroarms .54 caliber Mississippi. The bore on mine measures .543" larger than many being used. I shoot a Moose Mould Wilkinson that is .542". The bullet fits snugly, but loads easily. I lube only the bottom band with MCM lube. If you get lube in the space between the bottom band and the nose, the bullet will not perform properly...it needs that space so it compresses properly. I have found that 40 grains of 3F GOEX gives the best groups, although I have read on this bulletin board that some members have had good success 38 grains of 3F. The only minie that I have tried is one made by NEI. This minie is .538" from the mould and weighs around 500 grains. The Moose Wilkinson weighs about 415 grains. The NEI minie did not perform the way I expected so it is no longer in use. I also use the Moose .577" Wilkinson in my Zouave. It is an excellent bullet and I don't see myself going back to a minie.