PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Berdan to Charlie Hahn

Hickok
07-17-2013, 06:45 AM
I just sent my Pedersoli Sharps Berdan to Charlie Hahn for the "full treatment". Sure did enjoy talking Mr. Hahn, as he is very nice person. Can't wait to get the rifle back and out to the range.

But man did I have a hassle with UPS to get it shipped. The girl said I needed and FFL. I said I did not, as the rifle was blackpowder. She said then she would call about "haz Mat". I told her it wasn't black powder, just a Civil war era rifle, 1859. A guy with her then called corporate to see about that. They wanted to know if the gun was still made and could be replaced it lost. I completely explained it was a repro, made in Italy, yada...yada....yada. Had to explain about Civil War re-enacting and NSSA shooting events. I also gave them a free history lesson of the CW Battles fought right here in the area, Battle of Droop Mt., Battle of Rich Mt., Battle of Phillipi, the fighting around Beverly, etc. It seems they were uninformed to say the least.

Anyway, finally got the rifle sent to Charlie Hahn.:cool:

Rich Foster
07-17-2013, 07:40 AM
The word Rifle or gun will start the problem. I have shipped many civil war guns. When they ask what is it I would say like 1841 musket. Most people don"t even know what a musket is and say ok. In your case 1859 Sharps. If they then ask what is that? Then say a civil war antique or replica. Try to keep the word gun or rifle out of the conversation and you will be ok and telling the truth. Just use they date, name of item and conversation should be fine. Rich

Muley Gil
07-17-2013, 08:35 AM
My local post office is very understanding when I've shipped black powder replicas. I ship with them whenever possible.

A few years ago I shipped a modern handgun to a fellow Virginian via UPS. I came armed with copies of Federal laws, UPS regulations, AND a lot of patience. I had to speak with several supervisors, but I shipped the handgun. Several of the UPS employees were actually cheering for me!

Hickok
07-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Good advice fella's

Seriously, thanks for the advice, as I appreciate your suggestions and will heed them in the future.

My wife is a U.S. Post office worker and she really got a laugh out of it. She gave me the old, "I told you so, we could have shipped it for you!"

Bullseye54
07-25-2013, 06:23 PM
USPS have always been very easy to work with.... If you want to use UPS, print out your label at home thru the UPS web sight and bring it to Office Depo, Staples or anyone that accepts UPS packages, the kid are so happy you have a label all set they won't give you a hard time...

ian45662
07-25-2013, 10:12 PM
He worked on an IAB for me. amazing work!!! Perfect seal.

Pat in Virginia
07-26-2013, 04:59 PM
If shipping by USPS, be sure to consider/check-out the cost of shipping Priority Mail. The cost may surprise you as being much lower than you might have thought. I recently priced the cost of shipping a Whitworth to NC. The cost was $25 for shipping and $12 for $1000 worth of insurance. The weight of the package didn't really matter. The cost was driven by the USPS zones shipping from and to and the size of the package (a plastic gun case wrapped in an outer cardboard box). Pat in Virginia