PDA

View Full Version : Sharps Carbine clean out screw broke off

MR. GADGET
07-08-2013, 07:40 PM
I have a Sharps carbine that has had the O-ring done on it and last time I went to clean it and pull the clean out screw out the head broke off..

The threads are on the pin and the full pin is stuck in place but the head is gone...
What to do? It is real small and no way to drill out with normal hand tools or drill press, would think it would be a job for a mill or something like that.

It shoots fine, it is working to clean as is and not having much build up....

What should I do to it?

It is a repop, IAB. I have another that I shoot and don't use this much so I don't want to put a bunch more money into it. I was thinking about selling but would want to see how to fix, or the cost to have it done if needed before I do anything.

So how about it some of you sharps shooters?

Ibgreen
07-08-2013, 09:23 PM
How much tension is on the screw shaft? Can you jb cold weld a piece of metal to it and try to screw it out?

MR. GADGET
07-08-2013, 09:31 PM
How much tension is on the screw shaft? Can you jb cold weld a piece of metal to it and try to screw it out?

Not something this small and it is locked up is why the head broke off.

Fauch125
07-08-2013, 11:53 PM
I drilled mine out with a dremel tool, took care to drill the hole in the broken screw end and not the block. Used progressively larger guage drill bits until it came out with a dental pic. Heat from drilling probably helped as well. I had also soaked it overnight in kroil first. Hope this helps

jonk
07-09-2013, 09:09 AM
If it is too small to use a broken screw removal tool, you have two routes to consider.

1. Kroil and/or localized heat to loosen the stub, then get it out somehow- JB and a rod, whatever.

2. Drill it out if the above fails. Any decent machinist or gunsmith should be able to do this pretty easily. Worst case is they have to drill it out slightly larger and re-thread for a new clean out bolt.

Make sure to put anti-seize grease on all the screws in the Sharps block and you should be fine.

Charlie Hahn
07-11-2013, 01:04 PM
I use a left hand drill, and machine it out, repair the thread and make a new screw with an allen head. This service os offered at a nominal fee.

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736

MR. GADGET
07-11-2013, 01:49 PM
Can you please PM me info and about $ range.
If you are going to be at the Vet I may bring the gun or send you the block.