PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cutting on Pedersoli Sharps

Hickok
07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Well, after my first shooting session with the Pedersoli Sharps Berdan, after the mandatory disassembly and cleaning, I notice on the chromed gas seal plate has some small errosion. It has the "eye brow" circle, and a few small pin holes of errosion. I sanded on it with some 600 grit paper and a smooth flat piece of stainless steel as a sanding block, but the pits are still there. Didn't take but 40 rounds of shooting to start it.

The gas sleeve in the barrel was free the entire time I was shooting, as I would take my finger and reach in and could rotate it, and I did this about every three rounds, before loading a cartridge. Man, this rifle shoots great, just have to get some of the bugs out.

Looks like I am going to have to contact Mr. Hahn and get have some improvements made.

If Mr. Hahn can reply, or any of you with experience, what would be the best fix, the O-ring modification, or have the solid breech block and the O-ring mode. I am open to good advice.

Jud96
07-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Well, after my first shooting session with the Pedersoli Sharps Berdan, after the mandatory disassembly and cleaning, I notice on the chromed gas seal plate has some small errosion. It has the "eye brow" circle, and a few small pin holes of errosion. I sanded on it with some 600 grit paper and a smooth flat piece of stainless steel as a sanding block, but the pits are still there. Didn't take but 40 rounds of shooting to start it.The gas sleeve in the barrel was free the entire time I was shooting, as I would take my finger and reach in and could rotate it, and I did this about every three rounds, before loading a cartridge. Man, this rifle shoots great, just have to get some of the bugs out.Looks like I am going to have to contact Mr. Hahn and get have some improvements made.If Mr. Hahn can reply, or any of you with experience, what would be the best fix, the O-ring modification, or have the solid breech block and the O-ring mode. I am open to good advice. The best thing that works is a new chamber sleeve that doesn't float and fits flush against the barrel and gas plate. This is what my Dad used in many Sharps that leaked and they were all fixed onced and are still working today! My Dad installed a new chamber sleeve in my Mom's Garrett Sharps some 15 years ago and that thing will fire all day everyday with no problems! The problem with the O-rings is that they're more of a band aid than a true "fix" and the solid breach blocks are expensive!

Ron/The Old Reb
07-06-2013, 08:20 AM
My Garrett has the solid breach block and a two piece gas sleeve with an o ring between the two halves. I can shoot it all day without it binding up.

Charlie Hahn
07-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Howdy,

You have the classic erosion starting the is taking advantage of the gap and an angular misalignment. The design I use fixes this, $275. Includes solid block, short floating sleeve industrial wear parts and I will adjust your chamber to fit a standard length tube if you like. All my work in guaranteed, no questions.

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736