PDA

View Full Version : New Pedersoli Berdan range results

Hickok
07-03-2013, 03:32 PM
I took my new Pedersoli 1859 Sharps 54. cal Berdan to the range. Been on this sight reading and gathering tips and info, and what a great help it was.

Load was 50 gr. Goex 2f and a Rapine 475 ringtail cast of pure lead and lubed with SPG. Made my own cardboard tubes.

At 50 yards it puts three bullets into less than an inch, and at 100 yards groups three shots go into 1.5"-2" group. I shot several groups an both ranges, and it just keeps shooting these groups consistantly. Yeehaa!

The rifle shoots right to point of aim @ 50 yards and 8 inches low at 100, so I have to do a little file work to the front sight blade. I was really expecting the rifle to shoot way high, so this is a pleasant surprize!

I also shot some of the Montana precision swaged bullets that I bought, 475gr. ringtail, cast 20/1, and they shot just as well as the pure lead, but grouped 1 inch higher at 50 and 2 1/2 higher @ 100 than the Rapine pure lead bullets with the same load.

The Pedersoli did start to get hard to open at 6 shots, but I sprayed some Windex on the action every 6 rounds and kept on shooting, a total of 40 rounds. I did antisieze everything, but at one point, pulled the breach block and coated it with MobilOne Synthetic Wheel bearing grease, and it seemed to work better than the anti-sieze. Probably going to have to send the rifle to Mr. Hahn in the future and get it fixed right.

One problem I did have and would appreciate advice, my tubes must have been rolled a little to thick, as I had pieces of the paper tube remaining in the chamber regularly. If I made the tubes thinner would it help?

I will order some tubes from Mr. Hahn, but would just like to know if tubes that are too thick or of too many wraps would cause the paper debris in the chamber?

I also cast some wheelweight bullets from my Rapine mold, but didn't to try any this session, rain was in the air. Just have to say the Rapine mold is fantastic, after getting everything up to casting temperature, the bullets just fall out of the mold. Mr. Rapine's retirement is a loss to cast bullet shooters.

Final opinion, this Pedersoli is accurate, just needs a better gas sealing system for extended shooting. I will later send it to Mr. Hahn for correction.
Next shooting session I will back the powder down and see if it tightens up the groups, but I happy with the way it is shooting already.

This was alot easier than tuning up my ArmiSport Enfield!

My thanks to the Good Lord and to all of you for the information and advice you fella's put forth, it sure made my first range trip with a Sharps a pleasure. Any advice is surely welcome.

This was a lot easier than tuning up my ArmiSport Enfield!

iron brigade
07-03-2013, 07:28 PM
that's some fine shooting. nice to see pic's:D is it possible to use the ladder sight for 100 yard shooting? those are nice rifles and on my buy list.

Hickok
07-03-2013, 09:40 PM
I tryed the ladder sight @100, but it shot way too high, the lowest setting being 200 yards.

Before I shot the rifle, I was already thinking of making a taller front sight, because I was sure it would group high like most Civil War era firearms,
but such was not the case, dead on the sights @ 50 yards. That front sight sure is thin, about like an 03' Springfield.

I have to say Pedersoli makes a fine barrel. This rifle's barrel looks like a polished mirror inside, smooth as glass. Only fired 40 rounds, but no leading and the barrel cleaned up with just a couple of patches and some Windex/water solution. The rest of the rifle took a good bit longer. I thought a Sharps would clean up quicker than my 1853 Enfield, but now I don't think so!:-D

iron brigade
07-04-2013, 07:54 AM
I thought a Sharps would clean up quicker than my 1853 Enfield, but now I don't think so!:-D about like a smith carbine. that powder residue gets everywhere. I can understand the thin sight, I have owned a couple 1903 springfields. nice guns they are. please continue to post your progress. btw those Enfields are easier to clean than revolvers:D

Hickok
07-04-2013, 12:07 PM
I really enjoy my percussion revolvers, but like you said, what a job to clean!

One thing that I really like on this Berdan rifle is the set triggers. Don't know if they are legal for competition, but they sure are nice off a bench rest.

I realize I have only been shooting 3 shot groups with this rifle, but it completely surprized me with how accurate it is. I was expecting 4"-5" groups @ 100 yards, and then starting from there as to tuning up a good load.

Also, the rifle is drilled for a tang sight, so that offers some nice long range possibilities.