PDA

View Full Version : Very old Very loaded musket. Advice

wiardphil
07-03-2013, 07:59 AM
Howdy
I bought 2 muskets from a friends family one is a 1811 dated 1795 musket in really good shape with a good bore

The problem is the other one.
Springfield Model 1842 made 1846 exterior is beautiful bore a bit pitted and quite loaded. I know I shouldnt cap and fire it as I dont know how much the breech has eroded.
Should I get a ball puller and try that or is this barrel so thin I risk a bulge?
Should I rey to unscrew the breechplug that has probably not been out since it was made?

I seek the combined wisdom of those wiser than I

Thanks
Phil

GPM
07-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Several years ago I ran into this with an original Mississippi rifle. I used a cork screw type puller and spent about an hour basically shredding the ball into small pieces, it refused to budge as a complete round. The remnants of the ball and the powder came out with no problem after I whittled it down small enough.
Unless you plan to shoot the gun on regular basis I would advise against trying to remove the breech plug, chances are you'll do more harm than good.

jonk
07-03-2013, 08:41 AM
A few thoughts:

If the breechplug will come out without heat, and you have access to a proper breech plug wrench and barrel vise, that would be my first suggestion. If you plan to shoot the gun you'll want to see the chamber and plug area up close anyhow.

On the line, a stuck charge is removed with compressed air. If you have access to one of those, it's worth seeing if that will clear it.

Failing either of these, my advice is to fill the bore with alcohol for a few days and try to pull with a worm style puller. I don't think it will budge, as you're trying to remove the ball, probably a patch, and whatever rust and gunk has sealed it in in the meantime, but you could try.

You could certainly try shooting it out if you tie it to a tire and fire by a string, but as you say, you don't know what condition the chamber, powder, etc. are in.

Smosin
07-03-2013, 09:10 AM
If you can remove the nipple, replace it with an auto-type grease fitting, then pump in some bearing grease, which should force out the ball and powder. Works almost every time.

Maillemaker
07-03-2013, 09:27 AM
You can buy these little hand-held CO2 ball blowers online. They are a life saver at the range if you have a squib. I'd try one of those to blow it out and if that doesn't work, try the grease idea.

Steve

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
07-03-2013, 12:22 PM
If it were mine, I squirt some penetrating oil down the bore and let it pool on the minie ball at least overnight. Then I'd take it outside, point it in a safe direction (down), and try the compressed air. You don't need to buy one of those compressed air ball clearing devices if you have an air compressor at home. I just use one of those rubber tipped nozzles. It doesn't take all that much pressure.

Maillemaker
07-03-2013, 01:13 PM
I tried using my big upright compressor to blow out a ball but it would not do it. It may be though that I could not get a good air-tight fit on the nipple.

Steve

Jim Mayo
07-03-2013, 05:32 PM
I have a 42 model which had the same problem when I got it. I used a worm to unload two complete loads of bird shot. Nothing to it. Just be patient and keep working at it getting a little at a time. A little light lubricant may help break up the mass. If it is a ball, it will probably be harder.

Ron/The Old Reb
07-04-2013, 08:42 AM
I would not shoot it out. You don't know what for load is in it. Take out the nipple and squirt oil in to make the power inert just to be safe. Then try to blow it out with air or do it with the grease.

MikeArthur
07-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Mike ArthurHampton Horse Artillery

Muley Gil
07-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I would not shoot it out. You don't know what for load is in it. Take out the nipple and squirt oil in to make the power inert just to be safe. Then try to blow it out with air or do it with the grease.

Yeah. I've heard of folks breaking down fireworks and loading old muzzleloaders. You don't know WHAT has gone down that barrel over the last 150 + years.

Ron/The Old Reb
07-05-2013, 07:59 AM
An old friend bought a musket at a sale back in the 1960 and when he got it home he found that it was loaded. When he finally got the load out it had two balls on top of the power. Better to be safe than sorry.

If you decide to pull the breech plug soak it in Kano Kroil for a couple of day before you try it.