PDA

View Full Version : Lee 575-470-M

jonk
07-02-2013, 02:45 PM
Midway had these on closeout for $18 odd dollars, and I couldn't resist the opportunity to try it out. It's a tumble lube design; I'm a bit suspicious of alox in black powder loads, round balls excepted; even with filling the base it seems like that's a recipe for sticky bullets, but I'm willing to try it (as well as trying more conventional sizing/lubing).

So has anyone given this trashcan design a try? Results?

Maillemaker
07-02-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm curious how it shoots. Let us know what you find. I worried about the sizer stripping off the ribs.

Steve

jonk
07-02-2013, 02:54 PM
Yeah I cast up 25 of them; I haven't measured them yet to see if they could go 'as cast' or if they need sizing, but the 'ribs' as you call them- and that's what they look like- are very small. I had a lot of rejects using pure lead, I'm thinking 40:1 might be the way to go if it shoots well.

The skirt seems pretty thick, a moderate to heavy charge might be called for.

I'll shoot some next weekend and report back in.

jonk
07-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Well, initial tests out of my Euroarms enfield were quite promising. I might take it out and shoot some individuals at the next skirmish and see how it does there, but my first thought is that the bullet with all those little grease grooves slid down slick as snot. 45 gr of 3F Schutzen put them in the 10 and X ring. 40 was pretty poor; like I said, thick skirt, had to bump up the charge a tad.

Maillemaker
07-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the update!

Steve

xring2245
07-08-2013, 09:01 AM
I shoot this bullet. It shoots well. I size them to .575". James