PDA

View Full Version : Montana Precision Swaged ringtails

Hickok
06-25-2013, 07:56 PM
Hello to all, as I new here. Been shooting blackpowder in revolvers and rifle muskets for 40 years, and done my share of re-enacting also. I shoot powder and ball/minies in my guns regularly.

I just bought a new Pedersoli 54. cal. Sharps Berdan and also have a RAPINE #544475 mould for the ringtail bullet. This breechloader is a new experience for me. I realize I will probably have to have some work done by Mr. Hahn in the future.

My question now is, I have a box of Montana Precision Swaged bullets, of ringtail design, looking like a NEI .574-474 #382. These bullets are cast of a 20/1 lead, tin mixture. Are these bullets to hard to use in my Sharps?

I will be casting bullets of pure lead from the Rapine mold, just wanting to know if the Montana 20/1 cast bullets are okay to shoot.

Jud96
06-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Hello to all, as I new here. Been shooting blackpowder in revolvers and rifle muskets for 40 years, and done my share of re-enacting also. I shoot powder and ball/minies in my guns regularly.I just bought a new Pedersoli 54. cal. Sharps Berdan and also have a RAPINE #544475 mould for the ringtail bullet. This breechloader is a new experience for me. I realize I will probably have to have some work done by Mr. Hahn in the future.My question now is, I have a box of Montana Precision Swaged bullets, of ringtail design, looking like a NEI .574-474 #382. These bullets are cast of a 20/1 lead, tin mixture. Are these bullets to hard to use in my Sharps? I will be casting bullets of pure lead from the Rapine mold, just wanting to know if the Montana 20/1 cast bullets are okay to shoot. My team has been shooting wheel weights for over 30 years skirmishing in their Sharps carbines and they all have the original barrels, which are like mirror, and the guns still shoot outstanding! Wheel weights are very very hard lead if you didn't already know. The harder lead doesn't foul the rifling one bit either !

Hickok
06-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks you for the reply.

I have about 100 pounds of wheel weights that I use to cast bullets for cartridge revolvers. I will have to give the wheel weights a try in the Sharps.

Do you all shoot your bullets as cast, or do you size them?

ms3635v
06-26-2013, 09:03 AM
One member on our team shoots both the Shiloh rifle and carbine and uses soft lead and both guns are very accurate and he has the medals he has won using soft lead. He has no leading or fouling issues. Most carbines do just fine with soft lead.

Jim_Burgess_2078V
06-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I use lead recovered from the backstop at Ft. Shenandoah for my Sharps bullets. It is harder than pure lead but not as hard as pure wheelweights. The bullets come out of my Lyman mold with a .556 diameter base ring that I size down to .545. Not sure what diameter the Rapine casts but you will get higher pressure if you fire bullets that are significantly larger than the chamber throat. Soft lead will probably work if you have adequate lube on the bullets to keep the fouling soft all the way to the end of the barrel. Now if we could only get a new source for hot percussion caps!
Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Jud96
06-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Thanks you for the reply.I have about 100 pounds of wheel weights that I use to cast bullets for cartridge revolvers. I will have to give the wheel weights a try in the Sharps.Do you all shoot your bullets as cast, or do you size them? All of our Sharps guys shoot Shiloh Buffalo slugs as cast.