PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Polishin Media

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
06-23-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm really impressed with the good job my Thumblers Tumbler does polishing brass with stainless steel media. The brass looks brand new outside and in, including the primer pockets when you're done. See http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/tutorials/ if you're not familiar with it.

My only gripes are it's messier than corn cob with all the water, and I really don't want to see any of the little pieces go down my drain.

I went out and bought a 100 lbs magnate last week to gather up all the strays. It works. It won't penetrate the sides of the Thumblers Tumblers tub, but the media is magnetic enough when you use it directly.

Also, I couldn't find any of the 'Lemi Shine' additive locally, so I finally broke down and bought some from amazon.com. It helps, and I'll be using it from now on.

Phillip Kearny
06-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Gary,
Purchase a very fine strainer in the kitchen tool section at Walmart. Using a magnet will magnetize some of the stainless pins causing them to clump together and possibly cloggging your primer pocket vent. Another item you might try is a plastic tumbling media seperator. Just dump it in and rotate the drum. One could also simply extract the brass one or two at a time and give a gentle shake. The wet pins slide out easily. Lemmyshine I guess helps, but I have had good results with only 2 teaspoons per gallon of water of Dawn dishwash soap. Brass comes out brighter than new. A little expensive to get set up, but if you hate dirty brass cases a must have.
Phil