PDA

View Full Version : A closer look: Comparing the Pedersoli P58 lock with the Euroarms P53 lock

Maillemaker
06-22-2013, 10:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/5Yhi3J2h.jpg
The Pedersoli Enfield lock

As most of you know, Pedersoli bought out Euroarms. They have made significant improvements to the appearance of the Enfields, to make them more closely follow a Type III Enfield, instead of the Type IV the Parker Hale came from, and which both Armisport and Euroarms copied. In my other post (http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/showthread.php/7509-A-comparison-between-Euroarms-P53-and-Pedersoli-P58-%28pictures%29), I show pictures of the external differences between the new Pedersoli P1858 Enfield and my old Euroarms P1853 Enfield.

Tonight I disassembled the Pedersoli to see what the lock internals looked like compared to the Euroarms.

It was a little bit of a disappointing experience.

First off, when I removed the barrel there were brass chips all over the belly near the lock. And since the barrel channel opens up into the lock mortise, there were brass chips in the lock works also. I noted a comment about this on the 3-band Enfield on the Cabela's web site. This strikes me as poor workmanship and I'm disappointed to see this coming out of the Pedersoli shop.

Second, the lock-to-mortise fit is a perfect fit, and tight. When I pushed the lock out using the unscrewed lock screws, when it came loose it raised a splinter of wood in the stock just in front of the lock. I was upset about that. I hate it when my stupidity breaks things. I used a dental pick to pry it open a bit and injected super glue down behind the splinter and pressed it back flush. It is probably repaired now, but the repair is noticeable. Afterwords I took my Dremel tool with a narrow grindstone bit and worked the nose of the mortise a bit, just enough to ease the fit of the lock. I probably could have done this a bit more but I would rather remove too little material than too much.

With the lock taken out, the first thing you notice is that the internal lock components are probably the same as the old Euroarms components. The bridle still has the same P-H molded in it as the old Euroarms. Unlike my Euroarms mainspring, however, the Pedersoli mainspring was polished bright. In fact though all the cast lock components appeared the same as with Euroarms, you could see that Pedersoli spent more attention on them, polishing the bearing surfaces of the pieces.

My second screw-up was when the stirrup fell out of the tumbler stirrup arm, I put it back in backwards, so I had to remove it. It was a snug fit, and as I tried to twist it out of position I broke the stirrup arm. As you can see from the pictures, the hole drilled for the stirrup pinion left very, very little material to secure it on the stirrup arm. And with just my small amount of twisting, it broke the end of the arm off. Once again I was annoyed with my stupidity breaking things. Fortunately, however, I happen to have a Lodgewood machined tumbler and sear and so I replaced the Pedersoli cast components with the Lodegewood machined ones. The Lodegwood parts are sold as drop-in replacements for Euroarms, and they dropped in here, too, further supporting the idea that the Pedersoli Enfield locks are using the old Euroarms components.

So the big differences between the Euroarms lock and the Pedersoli lock are that the Pedersoli has a new lock plate, a new hammer, and possibly a new main spring. All of the rest of the lock components are cast and appear to be the old Euroarms parts to me. I cannot tell about the sear spring.

Tomorrow I'm going to take it to the range and see how it shoots. I'm glad I had a spare tumbler or I would have had to wait.

Here are pictures that show the things described above:

http://imgur.com/a/Lul81

Steve

Southron Sr.
06-23-2013, 01:19 PM
Dear Steve:

Just consider your new Pedersoli Enfield a "project" you are undertaking. To make your new Pedersoli to "Be All It Can Be," I recommend you glass bed the barrel in the stock. Then, you can re-finish the stock.

You can make that glued down sliver of wood disappear when you re-finish the stock. I highly recommend 5 coats of Birchwood-Casey's Tru-Oil. The really great thing about Tru-Oil is after you have Skirmished with the weapon for several seasons and the stock finish begins to look "doggy," just disassemble the gun, wash down the stock with a mild detergent and then rub it down with some de-greased 000 steel wool. Then apply a couple of new coats of Tru-Oil and your stock will be better than new.

I would ship that broken tumbler back to Pedersoli and request a replacement under warranty. I would air mail it directly to the factory in Italy. You can get their mailing address from the Pedersoli website.

GOOD LUCK

Blair
06-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Steve,

Southeron Sr. is correct as far as sending the part back to Pedersoli.
Right now Pedersoli (DP) does not have a 'major' distribution point established here in the USA. However, you do have contact information that you can contact DP through to let them know of your problems. Considering the help you have offered them in the past, it is just my guess at this point, but I think they will make the replacement good.
Trying to ship parts back to Italy without going through an authorized dealer/distributor is just about impossible due to Italian Customs.
Just a suggestion on my part.
My best,
Blair