PDA

View Full Version : Moose Moulds Gallagher bullet

steel reserve
06-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Is anyone using the Moose Moulds 543-300 Sanders bullet in original Gallagher's? If so, what kind of results are you getting? My Gallagher has 3 groove rifling, about 1-78 twist and slugs to about .538. So far, not much success with various bullets including the Rapine 540-300 designed for the Erma Gallagher.
Thanks,
Mike

ms3635v
06-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Please remember the original Gallagers were designed to shoot .52 caliber bullets....520-.523". There are disparities in the rifling in the original Gallagers. There are two original Gallagers shooting on our team and the bullet diameters are different, probably manufacturing issues during the war. The Moose Mould casts bullets at .543" and weigh in at 300 grains. My best suggestion would be for you to call Moose and talk to him about the bullet as he has all of the information about this bullet

moosette
06-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Actually - we directed him to ask that question in this forum...to see if there are any Gallagher shooters out there that could help him out. We simply followed the design provided for our 543-300 Gallagher. As to what type of gun it will / will not shoot in, well, we'll leave that up to the Gallagher experts to answer!

Looking forward to reading the responses,

Moosette

Richard Hill
06-25-2013, 10:20 AM
My Gallager is .52, and the couple of original bullets I have measure .523. The bullet also has a hollow base. I've had some success with an NEI 525395, and I am still working on it, but it's a "back burner" project. I had to ream out the brass cases made for the Erma Gallager so the bullet can seat deep enough in the case. I would be neat if someone would just copy an original bullet for some of the various carbines available.

Fauch125
08-26-2013, 09:57 PM
Is the Sanders bullet designed to work with an Erma Gallager, or an original? Has anyone shot a moose moulds Sanders in an Erma with its original multigroove fast twist .54? Thanks for the info. Trying to decide whether to track down a Rapine, get a Moose mould, or consider a reline. Any advise appreciated.

Lou Lou Lou
08-27-2013, 06:59 AM
Reline it to take a Smith bullet and tube.

John Holland
08-27-2013, 07:39 AM
As I recall it, the "Sanders Gallager Bullet" was designed by Dave Sanders of the 9th NY Cavalry, and he shot it in an unaltered Erma Werke Gallager. I believe it was his grandson who had Moose add it to their product line of moulds.
JDH