PDA

View Full Version : Model 41 Bernadelli tumbler

jek279
06-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I have the Gold Rush Model 1841 with the "W" on the bolster. The guns tumbler isn't set right for the hammer catch. At half cock the hammer is only 1/8" off the nipple. The question is, is there a substitute tumbler to swap in? Does an Enfield or Springfield tumbler fit?

GPM
06-19-2013, 08:00 PM
An Enfield or Springfield tumbler will not work. Most Italian Mississippi rifles use Zouave locks. Never owned a Bernadelli so I can't say for sure. You can try another tumbler from Lodgewood or S&S, it would likely require some fitting. The problem could also be the hammer

Rebel Dave
06-19-2013, 08:13 PM
GPM is correct. Springfield, and Enfield won't work. You can try a tumbler from another Italian MFG, but, the hammer might not fit on the square, and or, the hammer screw threads might be different. It will have to be fitted any way you do it.

Rebel Dave

Muley Gil
06-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Does the hammer hold at half cock when you pull the trigger? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. During competition, I cap at full cock. I personally like a low half cock. If you ever hunt with that rifle, you have less chance of losing your percussion cap.

mikea
06-20-2013, 02:00 PM
In addition to what has already been mentioned, check out the nose of the sear - the part that fits in the half & full cock notches in the tumbler. If it is broken off it can cause problems. I have encountered this with an Enfield in the past and on a Zoli Zouave I am trying to rehab now. Lodgewood, Dixie Gun Works and S&S are your best hope for parts and all have links on this web site under the "Links" section.

jek279
06-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Thanks for the information. I know S&S carrys a new tumbler, just not sure if it fits the Bernadelli or if it is one that is different alltogether. I checked all the internals and everything is fine. I compared it to my Enfield and springfield tumblers and I am guessing that somewhere down the line someone filed the catch deeper so the half cock was not as far as it should be.

Maillemaker
06-21-2013, 03:50 PM
This seems to be a common problem with repros.

My Armi-sport Richmond Carbine and even my new Pedersoli P58 have low-half-cock positions. I can't imagine trying to actually cap them at half-cock.

Steve

jek279
06-21-2013, 04:04 PM
My thought would be to weld the half cock position shut and then refile a new half cock position. I have welded on tumblers before so I know it is possible. I just don't want to mess up the tumbler accidentily and find out there is no replacement for this type of fire arm.

NCREBEL
06-22-2013, 01:55 PM
I don't believe you have a problem. I purchased an 41 Gold Rush Mississippi by Bernadelli (Garrett) in 1975 as my first muzzle loader. The hammer has always been low as you described yours. It has never caused me a problem as I always cap at full cock. I have shot this rifle for 38 years, still shooting it, and the only parts I have ever had to replace were the mainspring, nipples and 2 barrels. The rifle has been inspected several times without fail. My advice is to leave it alone and enjoy shooting it.

Maillemaker
06-22-2013, 02:43 PM
It's only a problem if you want to load and fire the arm in an authentic, load in nine times fashion.

Steve

GPM
06-23-2013, 09:26 AM
As someone else mentioned, it can be helpful if you ever hunt with the rifle. The cap will not fall off while at half cock.

Southron Sr.
06-23-2013, 01:45 PM
I purchased a Bernadelli Mississippi when they first came out in the mid-1970's. I have actually been through the Bernadelli factory building in downtown Brescia, Italy. (The architecture reminded me of the architecture of the Guggenheim in NYC!) What was "really neat" about the factory is that they had several "arms rooms" in the factory where their different products went when they came off the production line, before they were boxed and shipped out.

In one room were racks of brand new Mississippis' another room, racks filled with brand new over and under, and side by side shotguns and another room had racks filled with submachine guns! I was told that the subguns were for an order by the Italian army.

Sad to say, Bernadelli is no longer is business. The company went bankrupt and all the production machinery was purchased by a factory located in Turkey.

There is a fairly good chance that Bernadelli ordered all of the lock parts they used to make their Mississippis from a sub-contractor (it seemed to me that almost everyone in Brescia was involved in the arms business in one form or fashion of another) Hence, there is a chance that you could order a Zouave tumbler from Dixie Gun Works and it MIGHT fit:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=8et7no2o875er59v svnqf72e80&keywords=GP0932&x=5&y=0

That being said, IF the tumblers are "interchangeable" then there is a good possibility that the half-cock position on the DGW tumbler will leave your hammer in the same position above the nipple!

jek279
06-23-2013, 01:55 PM
That option looks like a winner. I will have to see where dixie gun works get there's vs. S&S Fire arms. I would really like a proper half cock. I don't want to go hunting and have to go to full cock and then cap the nipple and then gently let the hammer down without letting the hammer slip. Especially on our snowy cold mornings while wearing gloves.

GPM
06-23-2013, 02:00 PM
If you end up with the same problem after changing the tumbler I would try a new hammer, it could be the indexing or degree that the shaft was cut at were off enough enough to cause your problem. A friend owned a Euroarms mississippi that had a problem sort of reversed from yours, the hammer would not make contact with the nipple in the down position, having just very small gap when looking at it. The gun never failed to fire, I suppose there was enough slack in all the moving parts to make contact when the trigger was pulled.