PDA

View Full Version : Repro London Armoury Co Kerr Barrel Now Available to Order from Bobby Hoyt

Pat in Virginia
06-19-2013, 11:29 AM
A Reproduction London Armoury Company Kerr Rifled Barrel is Now Available to Order For those interested in a reproduction of a London Armoury Company, James Kerr rifled .451 barrel which has rifling that is straight for 4”, gain twist for 14”, and finishing with 18” of 1 in 20 inch twist. A favorite target rifle of the “Volunteers” of the British Army in the early 1860’s as they could drop it into their P/53 stocks and have a target rifle. It was also used by the Confederate States of America for what today we would call a sniper rifle.

For those interested in a reproduction of a London Armoury Company, James Kerr rifled .451 barrel which has rifling that is straight for 4”, gain twist for 14”, and finishing with 18” of 1 in 20 inch twist. A favorite target rifle of the “Volunteers” of the British Army in the early 1860’s as they could drop it into their P/53 stocks and have a target rifle. It was also used by the Confederate States of America for what today we would call a sniper rifle.

The history of the Kerr rifle and a description of this project was published in an article in the Muzzle Loading Association of Great Britain’s (MLAGB’s) magazine, Black Powder, in April of this year. It is available at: www.mlagb.com/blackpowder/index.htm (http://www.mlagb.com/blackpowder/index.htm) . If you go to this web page scan down to the Spring 2013 Magazine right at the top of the list of publications and select “The Kerr Rifle Project.” When you do, a PDF file containing the article will be downloaded to your computer.

We did not encountered any serious issues with the barrel, only things requiring minor tweaks to rectify. That is attributable to Bobby Hoyt’s skill as a barrel maker. The reproduction Kerr barrel has now been through initial firing test and is available to be ordered from Bobby Hoyt. The results of that test were extremely promising – the best group was about ¾” center to center and there were no bad groups. These groups were shot without any load development and they represent the only groups shot with the Kerr barrel that day. Furthermore Bill Adams was running out of daylight when he shot the groups and was having difficulty seeing the front sight post. Bill also had four other rifles he needed to test that day before leaving for the North-South Skirmish Association National Matches. If you are interested in the Kerr barrel firing test report with target pictures send me a personal message with your email address in it asking for the test firing report. My spam filter will catch your message, but just put Kerr Rifle in the subject line and I’ll pass it through. I check my spam filter often.

The barrel will come with the breech plug installed. If you prefer it not come that way, so state on the order form. The barrel will come in the white, 95% finished without a high gloss. Both the breech and tang will require some effort in fitting as they are both intentionally a bit large in order that they might be contoured to fit many rifles in the final fit process. If you are not experienced or equipped to do this type of work you should have someone who is do the final fitting and breech plug installation for you if you asked for it not to be installed. Warning – if you chose to install the breech plug yourself and do not have the proper barrel vice equipment you can pinch the barrel if you put the barrel in a normal vice and crank down on it. The barrel is tapered; your vice jaws are not.

If you are also interested in obtaining the latest Barrel Description with Ordering Instruction document send me a personal message with your email address in it asking for them and I’ll send you the MS Word or PDF file containing them as well as Bill Adams description of the test firing of the Kerr barrel with his target pictures.

You should work with Bobby Hoyt directly if you have any further questions about the barrel itself or with regard to ordering. He may be reached at the phone number provided on the ordering form. His phone number and fax number are the same. Bobby does not do email. Be advised that he is often busy at the lathe, etc. and you must persevere to reach him by phone. I may be able to help you out via email if you have a simple question or need clarification regarding the ordering form as I developed it and had Bobby review and approve it. Nevertheless, I cannot become your go-between with Bobby. I will make an exception if you are not located on the North American continent, I understand about phone charges and I will, within limits, try to provide you with some extra help to get you going. In other words, you may email me with questions since Bobby doesn’t do email and you cannot call him at low expense. So you will understand where I am coming from: I am the unpaid instigator of the Kerr barrel project and will derive no financial gain from it. My reward is being able to purchase a Kerr barrel or two or three. That is an option that hasn’t been available for around 150 years.

If you are interested in a Kerr barrel, you might also want to consider ordering a Kerr style front sight base with a 3/8” dovetail to accept modern made front sights like the Lyman 17A. That combination will give you a crude windage adjustable front sight. If you want to use a calibration marked windage adjustable front sight, as long as it has a 3/8” dovetail that will work as well. Simply tighten down the keeper screw when you have the front sight where you want it. The base is patterned after one shown in a picture of a Kerr barrel’s muzzle in the Barrel Description document that is labeled “Another Kerr Rifle with Recessed Bore & Ramrod.” The original Kerr front sight base had something other than a 3/8” dovetail. The sight base is a $30 ordering option and well worth it in my estimation.

I will continue to chronicle things related to the Kerr barrel project as they develop and hope you will use the Kerr Barrel email list to share your experiences and load information/techniques with the others on the list. If you wish to be put on the Kerr Barrel email list, tell me that if you send me a personal message. Eventually, the Kerr Barrel topic will migrate to one of the relevant forums.

Pat in Virginia

Ibgreen
06-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Pm sentIbgreen

R. McAuley 3014V
07-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Below are some of the test targets shot by Bill Adams – with the best group being under 1-inch center to center. These groups were shot without any load development and represent the only groups shot with the Kerr barrel that day.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/rmac1023/groups_zpsc2e5c198.jpg

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii305/rmac1023/groups2_zps16d16fb9.jpg

Maillemaker
07-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Wow, fantastic group.

Steve

Maillemaker
07-03-2013, 02:10 PM
I have just read the article and this is a really neat undertaking.

Can this barrel be used in any N-SSA competitions? The article seems to indicate no.

Steve

Pat in Virginia
07-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Does the N-SSA have a "Sharpshooter" competition for rifles like the Kerr and the Whitworth that were meant to really reach out and touch someone?

Pat in Virginia