PDA

View Full Version : Who does good revolver work?

Maillemaker
06-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Who are the "go-to" people for doing accurizing work on repro revolvers these days?

I've got a stock Pietta 1858 Army, and at 25 yards it shoots about 6 inches to the left and does not group well at all. Definitely needs a dovetail front site and possibly more, though I am going to try some more load work-ups.

I'm shooting 20 grains of 3F Shuetzen on a swaged Hornady .451 ball.

Steve

Charlie Hahn
06-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Just a suggestion,

Check your groove diameter, I think you will find it is .453/.454. Your cylinder is .451, maybe .452. If this is what you find, at a minimum you need to open up your cylinder to .456.

Next, with a clean gun take it to full cock and see if there is considerable light between the end of the barrel and the barrel face. If there is light get a feeler gauge and see what the gap is. .004 inch is the upper limit for reasonable shooting, then you need to check side to side and top to bottom. I would guess you will find more room at the bottom. If you have one that has a gap wider than .004 and is not even, it will need a little help.

Next check the forcing cone, if it is very short, and if the mouth is smaller than the groove diameter it should have a cone refreshing.

Last thing, check the twist rate, these have a relatively slow twist, and shallow rifling. I think you could see an improvement with a little tin in your lead if you want to shoot this barrel.

I do provide pistol fitting service, and also complete rebuild. I offer gain twist barrels and other constant twist barrels with all the needed adjustments if that would interest you.

Regards

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736

Maillemaker
06-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I will look at these things when I get home.

Steve

ian45662
06-10-2013, 06:02 PM
I would like to take the time to mention that not only does charlie do great work on revolvers he is a stand up honest guy. If it wont shoot when you send it to him, you can be sure that it will shoot when you get it back from him.

RaiderANV
06-10-2013, 11:11 PM
Second get'n Charlie to rework your gun. These are tools for our sport a.d nothing more. Kinda hard to imagine putting all that money out for guns, gear, uniform, travel expenses and then not put the extra cash into your guns so they will shoot better then you can. I new barrel is almost a must to get one hole accuracy.