PDA

View Full Version : Erma Gallager Carbine modifications...

Fortitudine
06-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Can an Erma that is sleeved down to .50 cal, and set up for Gallagher tubes, be legally shot in the N-SSA?

What other modifications and tube configurations are people using out there?

Thanks!!

david eye 10882
06-04-2013, 09:07 PM
I just had mine reline to 50 cal and chambered to fit the black plactic smith tubes the sac has to do inspection on it and get a card. if this helps Allen

Rich Foster
06-05-2013, 07:39 AM
You did a good thing by getting it chambered for a certain size tube because the Smith tube gets it compression seal from the sides of the tube. So a loose fitting tube would cause a blow by. Not good. Good choice on tube for conversion because all brass Smith tubes are different diameters. You should be fine if black tubes fit well but do not stick. Shooting a Maynard the gas seal is in the Rim which is easy to tell if it gets a good seal just hold it up to the light and see if you can see light comming between rim and breech. In my opinion the Maynard as a all around gun is the superior carbine which today all ammunition has a rim for the gas seal. I know some people argu over this but with any gun no matter if it has 1 sight, 2 sights or 3 it is the person who is pulling the trigger and how well he is prepare with himself and ammunition. In my younger years I had a old man cleaned my clock with a broom stick with the bristles on the other end in a game of pool. Point different equipment but knew how to use it. Rich

Rtab108
06-05-2013, 12:42 PM
The answer to your basic question is yes, but it needs a SAC inspection card. Any modification of a skirmish arm from its approved configuration needs to be inspected by a SAC member. My Erma was inspected after being relined to 50 cal. & I have used it in skirmishing.

Fortitudine
06-06-2013, 03:07 AM
The answer to your basic question is yes, but it needs a SAC inspection card. Any modification of a skirmish arm from its approved configuration needs to be inspected by a SAC member. My Erma was inspected after being relined to 50 cal. & I have used it in skirmishing.

What tubes are you using?

david eye 10882
06-06-2013, 06:40 AM
I am still looking for somebody to do a trigger job . Allen

Rtab108
06-06-2013, 01:01 PM
I'm using brass gallager tubes from Lodgewood.

Fortitudine
06-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks for all the valuable input. Since I haven't done this yet, was wondering which style tube works best with this modification, Gallager or Smith? Is one modification more expensive that the other, machining-work wise?
Thanks!!

Lou Lou Lou
06-06-2013, 07:56 PM
The smith modification is done because they are easier to. Extract than Gallagher tubes which are known to stick

RaiderANV
06-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Smith tubes ah 1/5 the cost and the reline is the same price if I remember correctly.

Fortitudine
06-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Anyone recall what Dr Hoyt was charging for the operation?

Lou Lou Lou
06-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Carbine was $225 a few years ago, call him