PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Goex and Shuetzen?

Maillemaker
05-30-2013, 07:28 PM
So I've finally got my guns sighted in using FFF Goex, and my local supplier is out and I have a skirmish coming up next weekend.

I can buy from FFF Shuetzen from a teammate. Is it equivalent grain for grain or do I need more or less? Thoughts?

Steve

jonk
05-30-2013, 08:27 PM
I like Schuetzen a lot; it works as well as Goex for me but is cheaper. I have found in my guns that I had to up the charges a tad for the Schuetzen, about 10% by weight.

Scott Kurki, 12475
05-30-2013, 08:31 PM
I haven't used Shuetzen personally but I know folks that have tried both. Basically there are a couple of issues. First they generally use less Shuetzen than GOEX but there is not a straight conversion. So that is one issue, another is matching up a lube with the load to soften and minimize coke build up. That's what I have heard, I don't know from personal experience. I hope this helps.

xring2245
05-30-2013, 10:27 PM
In my experience with the Henry (.44-40), Scheutzen was cleaner burning at the same load that I was using for GOEX (30 gr.) Accuracy was just as good or a little better. I have six more pounds of it and will be using it in my flintlocks to see how well it does.

Scott Kurki, 12475
05-30-2013, 10:40 PM
I haven't used Shuetzen personally but I know folks that have tried both. Basically there are a couple of issues. First they generally use less Shuetzen than GOEX but there is not a straight conversion. So that is one issue, another is matching up a lube with the load to soften and minimize coke build up. That's what I have heard, I don't know from personal experience. I hope this helps. Come to think of it, I am wrong. I was thinking of Swiss not Shuetzen. Sorry about that.

iron brigade
05-31-2013, 04:35 PM
I have shot a bunch of schuetzen and it is more or less a round ball powder. slower than Goex. my guns shoot well with 3fffg KIK powder.

kenrup
06-13-2013, 10:16 PM
I chronographed 3fffg Goex and 3fffg Shutzen. Same load by volume. The Shuzten came out at 15% less velocity then Goex. We just up the load a tad.

Maillemaker
06-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the information, all!

Steve