PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Colt and H&P conversion

Maillemaker
05-28-2013, 05:25 PM
I didn't want to clutter up the fellow's for sale thread, but someone asked if you could put rear sights on Pedersoli's Colt 1816 Conversion.

John Holland answered no, and rightfully so.

You can see that the Colt conversion is quite different from the H&P conversion, and not just in the rear sight. The bolsters are entirely different.

The Colt:
http://i.imgur.com/R1fDN0m.jpg

The H&P:
http://i.imgur.com/06eNQtg.jpg

Now you might be able to convert a Pedersoli Colt Conversion into an H&P by replacing the entire barrel assembly and modifying the lockplate, and this is what I am hoping Pedersoli can do, if they think there is sufficient interest. But you definitely can't put a rear sight on a Colt Conversion and call it an H&P reproduction.

Steve

MR. GADGET
05-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Steve, I think that was the question in a way on building one.
As from what people are saying most a ratted out and need a barrel or barrel work and then the rest of the work.
I think I could work the lock over or find a real one then just add a Hoyt barrel or who ever is making them.
Maybe as you said, add a bolster to the barrel to build from.

But as you said the best thing is to get them to build one.
Maybe they will. It would not take much for them.

Great pictures and thanks for posting them side by side.

Richard Hill
05-29-2013, 10:49 AM
If the picture of the Colt conversion breech area went just a bit further forward, you see that the gun actually had a rear sight that was similar to the Sharps and Hankins rear sight. These conversions were for the Russian government in 1854 and were RIFLED muskets. According to the book I get this from, the conversions all were of M1816s built prior to 1821. The H&Ps were of later models and thus the Colt may not qualify for our purposes. You may be able the fit a Hoyt H&P barrel to the Pedersoli repop, change to the correct front sight, and get an H&P conversion out of it, but an executive decision may be required as to its acceptability.

Maillemaker
05-29-2013, 11:31 AM
You are right, Richard, great eye!

I purposefully truncated the picture as the site was for the Russian contract as you noted.

I just wanted to show that the bolsters are quite different between the Colt and H&P conversion. You couldn't put an H&P sight on a Colt conversion and call it an H&P.

Steve

MR. GADGET
05-29-2013, 11:49 AM
I purposefully truncated the picture as the site was for the Russian contract as you noted.

Steve

So that brings up the point, think about the Zouave, did it really see service?
So now we have the Colt and russian contract with a rear sight?
Can you be sure that the south did not carry any.....

But the fact stated, sucks cause it was rifled anyways.....

Maillemaker
05-29-2013, 01:04 PM
So that brings up the point, think about the Zouave, did it really see service?
So now we have the Colt and russian contract with a rear sight?
Can you be sure that the south did not carry any.....

The rules say:

"Only original or reproductions of military firearms manufactured during the Civil War or prewar era, and which meet the criteria set forth in these rules, shall be used for competition. Those arms must have been manufactured prior to 26 April 1865 in quantities of at least 100 arms each. The arms must have been possessed by a US, CS, state, or local military authority during the American Civil War, but they do not need to have been issued to troops in the field."

I would assume that if you could provide evidence of Colt Conversion Russian-contract rifled muskets being possessed by a US, CS, state or local military authority during the American Civil War you would have a shot at being able to get permission to use them.

But I wasn't trying to discuss the validity of using Colt Conversion Russian-contract rifled muskets for N-SSA competition.

I was merely showing that you cannot put an H&P rear sight on a Colt 1816 Conversion and make an H&P reproduction. I think the idea of a H&P reproduction is a great idea - you just can't do it by sticking an H&P rear sight on the current Pedersoli 1816 Conversion.

Steve