PDA

View Full Version : musket for new shooter

Des
05-28-2013, 01:05 PM
My 15 y/o grandaughter has expressed an interest in skirmishing. She is slender and I believe not able to use a 3 bander and my 2 banders are to heavy for her. Anyone have a reccomendation for what would be good for her?

Rob FreemanWBR
05-28-2013, 02:11 PM
My 15 y/o grandaughter has expressed an interest in skirmishing. She is slender and I believe not able to use a 3 bander and my 2 banders are to heavy for her. Anyone have a reccomendation for what would be good for her?

A Zouave shouldn't be too heavy (??), but there are 2 band Springfield’s available which are VERY light, and may suit her well.

Would strongly recommend looking for something to borrow/take on a "test drive" before making any investment. Just in case if the piece doesn't work for her, or her interest dwindles...

My 2 cents!

Des
05-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Thanks for your input. I was going to try and "test fire" a borrowed musket before investing the cash. Just trying to narrow the search as there are 100s of muskets to choose from. She is not comfortable handling a 9 to 10 pound rifle.

Thanks again

snapcap14
05-28-2013, 03:48 PM
Try the 2 band colt. My son was still a peanut at 15 he started shooting his at 13 or 14. it was was still a little big for him but easy for him to handle. If i remember right it was as tall has he was.

John Holland
05-28-2013, 04:55 PM
I would suggest finding someone with a Flush Lock Whitney for her to try.

Muley Gil
05-28-2013, 08:19 PM
My original 2 band Springfield is close to two pound lighter than my 2 band Parker-Hale.

Jim Mulligan 7288V
05-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Steve Doyle might still have flush plate Whitney available which would be a perfect musket for her.

MR. GADGET
05-28-2013, 09:35 PM
My original 2 band Springfield is close to two pound lighter than my 2 band Parker-Hale.

Yep I have a cut down Springfield that is lighter then the Enfield and Zouave.
THe Colt is lighter by feel, don't own one but played with them.

Look at a Cadet, I'm having 2 built. One for the wife and one for me.
Going to do both barrels when done. Wife plans to shoot it for both SB and musket.
I'm getting it for another SB but wanted the matched barrel just for fun.

If you have a chance, check them out, you will really like them.

xring2245
05-29-2013, 06:23 AM
My 15 y/o grandaughter has expressed an interest in skirmishing. She is slender and I believe not able to use a 3 bander and my 2 banders are to heavy for her. Anyone have a reccomendation for what would be good for her? Maybe she isn't ready yet. Being 15 does not denote ability or capability.

Des
05-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and advise. I realize she may not be capable but want to make sure she doesn't fail due to the type musket being used. We will find out in a couple of weeks. I have located a Colt 2 band to use .

Charlie Hahn
05-31-2013, 04:07 PM
If you like, give me a call. I have built a few short artilleries in a 63/65 form where I re-contoured the barrel and did a bunch of other things to get to the low side of the build tolerance allowed. The guns come out right at 7 pounds, plus having a shortened pull length. If your young shooter is really interested, this might be a consideration.

Regards

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736

Jesse Painter
05-31-2013, 06:35 PM
My Daughter started shooting muskets at age 13. We tried a number of different models, including a Flush Plate Whitney. The Whitney was great for size and weight, but you pay the price in recoil. We settled on a Jim Brake built SN+WTC for Massachusetts and haven't looked back.Jesse