PDA

View Full Version : Flintlock priming?

hawkeye2
05-26-2013, 05:16 PM
17.6 d. "In the use of flintlock firearms, priming powder must be provided as part of a prepared cartridge, but separate from the main charge. The use of priming horns
or any other such container is prohibited."

Does this mean the priming charge must be in an integral part of the cartridge containing the main charge or can it be in an entirely separate container? For example individual measured priming charges in plugged .36 cal. (white) soft tubes and carried separately in the cartridge box? Could these priming containers be carried in a cap box? What do the few of you who shoot flint do? I can't imagine trying to hold back enough powder to prime with while pouring the main charge down the barrel.

I see no restrictions on the granulation of powder used for priming.

jonk
05-28-2013, 07:59 PM
I've not seen it done, but what was described to me was to wrap the speed load tube in aluminum foil with the priming charge in the base below the tube, twisted shut; tear open the top, remove the ball, put the main charge and ball in, tear open the bottom, pour into the pan. Or you could not use the tube at all and just wrap in foil (or paper, but of course you can't FIRE the paper- you can fire the foil if you so choose.) I like your solution better however, and will wait to see the answer. There's no fast way to do it I'm sure, and much like shooting a front stuffer in carbine, you'll have to hit every shot to be competitive, but I know it can be done.

hawkeye2
05-28-2013, 09:45 PM
jonk, thanks for the input. The problem with that (and similar) procedures is that you have to shift the cartridge to the off hand and retain it while you ram down and bring the piece to the priming position and then have to transfer the cartridge to the strong hand or prime over the barrel, an awkward position. There is a lot of lost time there and can also be if one has to return to the cartridge box for a separate priming charge.

RaiderANV
05-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Hawkeye,,,,,,TWO SEPARATE tubes. One with powder charge and ball jus like smoothbore and a smaller 4F priming charge in a small tube like we use for pistol. Load main charge then back into cartridge box for priming charge

hawkeye2
05-29-2013, 09:41 AM
PJ, thanks. I kind of figured it would come down to this, I've got lots of the .36 cal tubes that I don't use anymore.