PDA

View Full Version : Sizing and Lubing Minie Balls

xring2245
05-22-2013, 06:46 PM
I would like to size and lube my minie balls in one operation. I currently use a Rapine sizer and then dip lube. I have two Star lubrisizers, but can only size and lube my Smith bullets (.513") as that is the largest sizing die diameter that the machine will handle. Are there any other alternatives? James

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
05-22-2013, 06:57 PM
James, the RCBS or LYMAN lubrisizers will accept sizing dies for the 58 cal. minies, sizing & lubing at the same time.

xring2245
05-22-2013, 07:08 PM
James, the RCBS or LYMAN lubrisizers will accept sizing dies for the 58 cal. minies, sizing & lubing at the same time. Thanks, Herb. Is this what you use? James

xring2245
05-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I checked the Midway and Lyman sites and the biggest sizing die offered is .512". Where would I purchase a .575" die? James

ian45662
05-22-2013, 08:59 PM
S&S firearms or lodgewood manufacturing will have dies that fit the lyman type. I am not sure if the star dies are the same dimensions. If not you may be able to buy a star die of any size and send it to someone who may be able to modify it for you

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
05-22-2013, 09:27 PM
Thanks, Herb. Is this what you use? James I could because I have MCM lube in the lubresizers reservoir, but I just size my minie in it, then when I make a complete cartridge, I put the minie in the plastic tube nose first, then use the Inside/Outside luber with MCM lube from Northeast Trade Co. to lube & seal the tube. I got my sizing dies from S&S (the top punch comes with it), the dies range from .250 thru .590 in .001 increments. They cost $35.00 and they work great, I mike them and they are right on what the die is marked as. Here is the direct link, they are on page 58 at the bottom. http://www.ssfirearms.com/images/2012 Catalog/2012 Shooting Accessories.pdf I hope the link works.

Maillemaker
05-23-2013, 03:31 PM
I also use a Lyman Lubrisizer with sizers bought from S&S firearms.

It works great. I lube and size in one step.

Here is a direct link to the shopping cart item on S&S's website:

http://ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SA450

Here is the Lubrsizer:

http://ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SA173

It takes a bit of adjustment to limit the stroke of the bullet so that the lube injects into the lube grooves and does not squirt over the nose, but other than that, it works great. Mine came with a heater, too, to make the lube more runny if you need it. I don't for my lube.

You can make your own lube sticks with 1" PVC pipe and some steel rod. Or you can pour molten lube into the lube chamber and wait for it to solidify. Or you can spoon/cut it out of your lube can and push chunks down the bore.

Steve

Rob FreemanWBR
05-23-2013, 04:24 PM
RCBS Lubrisizer - a truly outstanding piece of gear! Greatly simplifies loading and produces a consistent, first rate, lubricated & sized projectile.

I love my lubrisizer so much I purchased (via Ebay) three more! Now each piece (musket, carbine, revolver & Henry) each have their dedicated device.

If you go so far as to get/build your own Lube Stick Mold you'll REALLY be ahead of the power curve when it comes to reloading. Having pre-made Lube sticks on hand to re-fill your lubrisizer saves time & eliminates messes.