PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a Whitacer barrel

dougstrong
05-19-2013, 08:14 PM
I just got a Whitacser barrel for my original 1863/4. I thought it would be close to a drop in fit. It does not fit. Any ideas for what to do to get it to fit correctly?

Mike Stein
05-19-2013, 08:57 PM
How does it not fit? Diameter? tang? bolster? Have you notified Whitaker?

Blair
05-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Another thing I would also ask... did you tell Whitacer this was intended for an original?
Did you give him measurements?
Blair

Rebel Dave
05-19-2013, 09:46 PM
Most barrels will not be a drop in, You are going to have to fit the bbl to the stock. in your case it probably wont take much. Do not force it, as that will crack the stock. I use bright red lip stick, to inlet parts into stocks. Just coat the under side of the bbl with it, and try to put it in the stock, the lip stick will leave a mark where wood needs to be taken off.

You should use inletting tools to do this, but you can do it with sand paper, tho it will take a while. I use "files" also. In fact I use files more than any thing, Get your self some files from course to fine, and try them on some scrap wood.

If you need some help call me on my cell 262-989-1428. I am in S E Wis in Burlington. I am retired and can help you out.

Their are N-SSA members in northern Ill and S E Wis, we are looking for new members if you are interested.

Their are some shoots coming up in ILL, also. You will learn a lot at them.

Rebel Dave

Maillemaker
05-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Some pictures of the interference might be good. My Whitacre barrel needed a bit of material filed off of the bolster as it was hitting the lock plate. Also the slot for the tang in the stock had to be enlarged. Also the hammer had to be bent slightly to strike the nipple properly. Richard Hill did the work. He also bedded the barrel.

Edit to add: My barrel was for a reproduction Euroarms Enfield.

Steve

rachbobo
05-20-2013, 02:26 AM
I have built many weapons using Dan's barrels and have come across the same problem a few times fitting the lock plate to the bolster area.
The bolsters and tangs Dan uses are cast from originals so there is no variation in size or shape.
The problem is not with his barrels it's with the channel inlet into the stock.
I only work with restoring originals letting those "Old Dogs" Bark again
and have found the channel different on many.
Rebarreling an original 3 band 1853 Enfield had to have the channel cut deeper and cut back about a 1/16th of an inch to get the hammer to align with the nipple.
On a different Enfield the barrel dropped right in with no fine fitting at all.
Right now I'm building an 1840 Springfield in flintlock using a new S and S stock and have to do some inletting.
So to repeat myself, there are no variations in Dans barrels so the problem lies elsewhere

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

ian45662
05-20-2013, 07:29 AM
You could sell your barrel then send him the origional and have him match the exact contour. I am not 100% sure this can be done but you could call him and ask. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about his barrels

ms3635v
05-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Doug, I have three originals, a Trenton, and 2 Bridesburg muskets that have Whitacre barrels in them. I had an issue with one of the Bridesburg and that only required some minor relief around the tang area. As posted previously, I made sure I told Dan the barrels would be used in original stocks. The amount of fitting on the Bridesburg only took about an hour's worth of work and the fit is nice.

dougstrong
05-20-2013, 11:08 AM
I contacted Dan today. I love the barrel and I am very happy with it. I just need to figure out how to get it into the stock. I loved the suggestion above about using bright red lipstick. I will give that a try.

dougstrong
05-21-2013, 03:18 PM
I will be shipping it back to Dan for him to tweak.

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
05-21-2013, 04:35 PM
I purchased one of Dan's barrels to put on my orginal M1861 last year. It dropped in fine but needed to have the barrel tang hole enlarged just a bit so that the tang screw would engage the threads in the trigger guard. Mike Rouch did the work for me.

The barrel shoots great with 45 grains of 3F and either the RCBS "Monticello" or the tradtional "Burton or Harpers Ferry" ball bullet.