PDA

View Full Version : 3-band Colt Signature Series

B-Davis
05-17-2013, 09:22 AM
To All:
I have a 3-band Colt signature series that my Father used to shoot, and it drives absolute tacks! (I shot a 49-3x once at 100yds at a Regional with it!)
Now, I normally do not shoot it that much, but the bullet I have been using is an ancient POS that is about equivelant in weight to a Volkswagon Bug! It is a Challenger trashcan bullet .580/585 grains. That mould has been on it's last legs for about 5 years now.
Every other bullet I have tried in my small selection has not grouped well at all. I guess I have a two part question:
A: Would anybody have a Challenger mould in this design,or something similar,that would be willing to sell me?
B: Is anybody else shooting a 3-band Signature Series Colt with accurate results? If so, what is your bullet/powder charge combo?

I really hate losing this mould, the bullet likes 40 grns. of 2f and actually shoots well in everyone of my rifles! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan Davis

jaegerstutzen
05-17-2013, 04:27 PM
I have a challenger mould 582545. I got this brand new about 10 years ago when my brother Paul bought a lot, if not all of their inventory. nose is a truncated cone w a 4 grease groove trash can body. It has Rapines mould release on it so I must have used it. I doubt I cast 25 balls w it. Steel parts a little surface rust. $30 ppd if you want it. Best regards, Jaeger

B-Davis
05-17-2013, 08:56 PM
I sent you a pm

xring2245
05-21-2013, 05:41 PM
"Is anybody else shooting a 3-band Signature Series Colt with accurate results? If so, what is your bullet/powder charge combo?" I shoot the "old" Lee trashcan bullet - 470gr. in front of 49.5gr. GOEX 3F and it is an accurate load. I size the bullet to .575". Regards,James

iron brigade
05-25-2013, 07:45 AM
I shoot the old Lyman 575602 in my Hoyt lined Bridesburg contract musket. very accurate. the minie has wide bands on it and weighs 400 grains. although not a colt model I think it would be similar as it has a 3 groove barrel. I have found that the right lube is key to prevent fouling build-up.

Bullseye54
05-25-2013, 10:23 AM
OK, So what is the correct lube? Inquirering minds would like to know...
Joe, 15th CVI

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
05-25-2013, 10:59 AM
OH NO! :o I can feel Lefty stirring....

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

xring2245
05-25-2013, 12:25 PM
My 1861 Colt is now a very nice shooting gun. I had a lot of work to do - replace the internal lock parts along with a trigger job; a higher front sight, and as new leaf sight drilled for a peep sight hole. There was time spent on load development as well; finding that several bullets shot well, but one bullet shot the best with the proper charge (see my post above). As with any gun, the shooter has to do his homework. Rarely does a gun shoot well right out of the box. James

iron brigade
05-25-2013, 05:34 PM
OK, So what is the correct lube? Inquirering minds would like to know...
Joe, 15th CVI bear grease. only lube I found to work in my springfield. my other muskets are fine with mcm or other lubes I've tried. with the springfield after 5-6 shots I had to pound the ball down and accuracy went to pot. with the bear grease I can shoot 15 without any fouling problems. call it voodoo or whatever.....:D

Jud96
05-26-2013, 10:35 AM
bear grease. only lube I found to work in my springfield. my other muskets are fine with mcm or other lubes I've tried. with the springfield after 5-6 shots I had to pound the ball down and accuracy went to pot. with the bear grease I can shoot 15 without any fouling problems. call it voodoo or whatever.....:D Haha. You call 15 shots without cleaning voodoo. I can shoot all day without scrubbing the bore using CRISCO, now that's what I call the right lube! :)

iron brigade
05-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Haha. You call 15 shots without cleaning voodoo. I can shoot all day without scrubbing the bore using CRISCO, now that's what I call the right lube! :)BAHA! until it runs all over the place!

Rob FreemanWBR
05-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Like JUD - I too can shoot my Fayetteville all day long w/out having fouling issues, or to have to patch out the bore.

Granted the lube has to be FRESH - I've found out the hard way, shooting lubed rounds older than 2 months - fouling became a problem after 8 - 10 rounds.

You also need to factor in the correct sizing of your round - this is also very important!

As for lube - JUD is dead on. Crisco is a key ingredient (from my personal experiences) in any successful bullet lube recipe. But again, once a round (ex. musket) is lubed and loaded, the exposed lube will harden over time and become "stale" - usually in two months or so. Sealed/cased ammunition (ex. Henry, Maynard, etc.) have a longer shelf life since the lubed portion of the projectile isn't exposed directly to the air.

Bottom line - proper bullet sizing, and fresh, Crisco-heavy lube recipe. :)