PDA

View Full Version : For sale - 1862 Fayetteville Rifle repro kit

jshellnutt
05-17-2013, 12:17 AM
SOLD!

This kit contains all the parts to build a reproduction 1862 Fayetteville Rifle. All parts were obtained in 2001 from well known US suppliers, and are reputed to be exact replacement parts for the originals. The "target" rifle was the "standard" (type 3) Fayetteville as shown on pages 74 & 75 of "Confederate Longarms and Pistols - A Pictorial Study", First Edition, 1978, by Richard Taylor Hill and William Edward Anthony. The original cost in 2001 was over $1000.

For sale for $550, plus actual shipping cost (depending on your zip code), ships from California. Payment by Paypal only.

To be sold as a complete kit only - no parting out, so please don't ask. I have only one.

This is a kit. Fitting of parts to stock, finishing stock, etc. are required. You will need woodworking skills and tools to complete.

Parts breakdown:
Barrel - Whitacre (#1400-580), w/Lodgewood front & rear sights installed by Whitacre (extra long front sight for adjustment after assembly)
Stock - Dunlap, unfinished walnut, machine shaped, rough inlet for barrel, lockplate, bow & bar, ramrod, etc., but final fitting and finishing are required
Lockplate - Lodgewood, standard no-hump (type 3), marked "1862", "Fayetteville", etc. as per original
Hammer - Lodgewood, inverted "S" type as most commonly used on originals, smooth finished
Buttplate - Lodgewood, sandcast brass, rough, not stamped
Barrel bands (2), bow/bar assembly, nose cap - Lodgewood, brass, smooth finish
Ramrod - S&S, 1855-type, 2 band w/tulip tip
All other parts (trigger, springs, screws, washers, etc.) - S&S, to original specs
Also includes a "Made in India" saber bayonet & leather scabbard w/brass tip, needs defarbing but otherwise a good reproduction
Note : Whitacre originally brazed a bayonet lug to the barrel. It has since popped off (as they tend to do), but the lug is included.

Health issues forced me to give up reenacting shortly after I acquired this kit in 2001. It has been sitting around my hobby room for the last 12 years, unfinished. It's time to pass it along.

jefair1
05-17-2013, 04:03 PM
I am interested in the kit. Is this 2 band?

Rebel Dave
05-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Fayetteville Rifles were only made in two bands, with a 33in bbl. Hence the term "rifle". Rifle muskets were 40 in bbls. (3 banders). If I had the money right now I would grab it.

Rebel Dave

jshellnutt
05-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Yes, this is a 2-band rifle kit with 33" Whitacre barrel. My references say that's all that was ever made at the original Fayetteville facility. Around 10,000 "standard" rifles were made from mid-1862 through early-1865; that's the "Type 3" with the no-hump lockplate, no patchbox, brass fittings, etc. That's the reproduction I was going for.

As a former First Sergeant, I will tell you that this is not a weapon for the rank-and-file Infanrtyman, because of the short barrel. This is a "Sergeant's Rifle" or an "Artillery Rifle" or a "Sharpshooter's Rifle", some impression that does not involve firing over another man's shoulder. Of course, for target shooting, that does not matter. I had intended this kit, when finished, to be my "Sergeant's Rifle", but health issues got in the way.

Rebel Dave
05-18-2013, 04:26 PM
I,ll Take the Kit PM sent

Rebel Dave aka dave Christensen barracudadave67@hotmail.com 262-989-1428 my cell