PDA

View Full Version : pedersoli 1863 sharps bullets?

wap41
05-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Just got a 1863 sharps sporting rifle and would like to know from anyone that shoots one, what the best bullets for accuracy are?would like to find one that I could cast.Any info on bullets and molds helpful.thanks

Des
05-11-2013, 10:40 PM
I have been working up a load and it appears promising.The rifle is a Pedersoli 1859 Infantry model. The bullet is cast from from a George Gompf mold and 40 gr Geox 3f. The rifle has had the Charlie Hahn mod to the breach and I use his tubes.

gemmer
05-12-2013, 09:37 AM
I have the sporter with Charlie's breech block and chamber mods. I recently bought a Moose .544 420 gr
flat base version of the ringtail and am quite happy with it. Still experimenting with charges, but so far, 60gr of Swiss 2F in Charlie's 1 3/8" tube with the bullet glued on top shoots very well and should serve pretty well as a hunting load. NEI's .540 475 gr ringtail as cast is around .543 and also shoots very well. I had Pedersoli's modern ringtail mould but sold it. The base was too wide for Charlie's tubes and it was longer and heavier than other Sharps bullets.

Duane

jonk
05-13-2013, 10:19 AM
I don't have the sporting rifle, but do have the 1863 model carbine. One thing I discovered, my bore slugged .538". This was pretty tight compared to where I thought it was going to be, and accuracy was pretty awful until I got that sorted out. I'd slug your bore first, then worry about molds.

As to which mold and charge, that depends on your chamber size too. Mine will hold a tube charge with the NEI 475 gr ringtail of 40gr of 3F, or about 55 gr if I use loose powder. I have also tried a .54 minie and a Lee .54 maxi; the ringtail did better than both.