PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Really Large Confederate hats? 7 7/8" to 8"

CrufflerSteve
04-08-2009, 11:22 AM
I've been trying to get a Confederate uniform in addition to my Union one and all I needed was a hat. It just arrived and while it is technically XL, it is 7 5/8 and way too small. It was a gift and the sutler was given this measurement so it would be unfair to return it.

I've done a quick check of sutlers and this is about the largest stock size in any sort of hat. I'd prefer a slouch hat that looks, or can be made to loook, authentically Confederate but I'm less picky since I need it in 2 weeks.

Steve

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
04-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Steve,
Have you tried Dirty Billy's Hats? He's located in Gettysburg & I believe has a place in Maryland also. I think he also has a stand in Sutler's Row at the Fort. Here is their web address. Hope this helps you.

www.dirtybillyshats.com (http://www.dirtybillyshats.com)

CrufflerSteve
04-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I might have to learn to live with it. I can get it on. It is uncomfortably tight.

That's the problem with gifts. When you return them, the giver's feelings can get hurt.

I know that hats like this can be formed by steaming. Can they be stretched a bit this way? I could make some blocks that fit inside the hat and some wedges to apply pressure outward. That would require a lot of steaming before I could get the blocks in place. Would this work?

(grumble, grumble. should have ordered it myself.)

Steve

RangerFrog
04-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Steve,

See my response to this post in the For Sale or Trade section. The answer is simple and inexpensive; it calls for steaming and stretching using a set of Horrible Freight stretchers ($6.98 when on sale.) I won't tell you how I know about these until you try to find a derby hat that size!! Green

Froggie

Mark Wadsworth, 9737
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I know for a fact that Dirty Billy can do a size 8. He might now make a lot of them but I have seen one of his hats that size.

CrufflerSteve
04-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks RangerFrog & everybody else.

I stopped at a Horror Freight & picked up a stretcher. It just took a few passes through the steam and it fit fine. I'm also working on a variant of the shaping in "Echos of Glory". It takes awhile to get the hang of it but it is getting there. Probably being a little off in the shape would look more period.

That stretcher was a great deal for $7.

(I do have visions of being caught in a cold rain and needing to have my hat surgically removed.)

Steve

medbill
04-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Glad it all worked out and good thread to learn how to stretch a hat. I'm looking forward to buying myself a nice hat at the Spring Nationals. Hope I can find one. :D

RangerFrog
04-11-2009, 11:47 AM
medbill, should I bring along my hat stretcher, "just in case?" :lol: :lol:

Froggie Green

medbill
04-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I've come to learn after perusing the various period hat makers that I am to my surprise a "long oval." Nobody ever called me that one before! :lol:

RangerFrog
04-11-2009, 08:37 PM
medbill,

Oddly enough, I'm a "long oval" too. If I get a hat that fits me front to back, it usually has a lot of air space over my ears (to complement that air space between my ears, no doubt! :roll: )

While I have seen hat stretchers that adjust side to side as well as fore and aft, the inexpensive one from Horrible Freight only adjusts fore and aft for us long headed guys! What do I expect for $7, huh? I am just keeping mine in my hat all the time except when I am wearing it, so the hat doesn't shrink back down. 8)

Froggie Green

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
04-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Dittos on the Harbor Freight hat stretcher recommendation. I have mine inside my new Union bummer working right now.

I used to own a nice bummer, but for some reason felt the need to buy an English springer spaniel puppy. The pick of the litter turned out to have Confederate leanings, and chewed the bummer to pieces.

"Belle" has since taken the oath and been repatriated, but came very close to hanging for her misdeeds.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh
114th ILL