PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Really Large Confederate Hat 7 7/8 - 8

CrufflerSteve
04-08-2009, 11:17 AM
I need a Confederate uniform for some of this summer's activities. I just got a slouch hat that was a XL - 7 5/8 and I'll need a hammer and grease to get it on. It was a gift and the sutler was given the wrong measurement so I can't fault them.

I just wondered if anyone has or knows where I can get a proper hat in 7 7/8" to 8". I'd prefer a slouch hat but I'm not picky at this point. All the sutlers I've checked with don't stock anything close to this size so it would be a special order and I'm supposed to be wearing it in a couple of weeks.

Steve

Bob Seng, 10979
04-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Steve,

I too had the same problem, needed a 7 7/8 hat so I had Dirty Billy make one to fit and have not regretted.

He even measured my brain pan to make sure I was not dreaming.But of course I had a hardee hat made. I am pretty sure he can accomandate you as well.

CrufflerSteve
04-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Steve,

I too had the same problem, needed a 7 7/8 hat so I had Dirty Billy make one to fit and have not regretted.

He even measured my brain pan to make sure I was not dreaming.But of course I had a hardee hat made. I am pretty sure he can accomandate you as well.

I'm sure he could fit me. It's just that I need to be wearing it April 26th. I'm also thrilled about needing to buy another one since one of the kids, just now presented me with a $1000 medical bill. I wonder if I can make a cowboy hat look like a slouch hat? I do have a few of those that fit.

Steve

Edwin Flint, 8427
04-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Don't know where you are, but I would check your local Farmer's Co-op's, feed and seed, western wear and hardware stores. Many of these places carry hats that will pass pretty well for a confederate slouch hat.

Usually I take a 7 3/4 to 7 7/8. Until I was able to get a proper fit at Nationals, I bought one that was 7 5/8 ripped the interior hat band out and fit me fine. Might take a bit of reshaping, but you should be able to find one at a reasonable cost.

RangerFrog
04-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Steve, if you have a Harbor Freight close by (or even look it up on the Internet) they offer a hat stretcher for a very reasonable price of less than
$10. Fortunately, felt, when dampened, stretches pretty well, and a slouch hat doesn't depend on being shapely anyway! :lol:

Froggie

Muley Gil
04-09-2009, 01:27 AM
Or you could try a wood rasp once around the haid! :D

Mark Wadsworth, 9737
04-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I know for a fact that Dirty Billy can do a size 8. He might now make a lot of them but I have seen one of his hats that size.

CrufflerSteve
04-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. The wood stretcher from Horror Freight worked great. I didn't even have to take a belt sander to my head. :)

Steve