PDA

View Full Version : Fur "liner" for capbox.

norman horne, 12321
05-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Does anyone know where I can acquire/purchase the retaining liner for a capbox? Thanks for any help.

ms3635v
05-01-2013, 09:24 AM
The originals had a strip of lamb's wool attached to the top of the cap box. Maybe you can rustle-up a piece and glue it to the inside of the cap pouch.

Maillemaker
05-01-2013, 09:41 AM
My cheap-o pouch that I bought from S&S came with some kind of "fur", more like "hair" glued to the inside, but it quickly came loose and I never replaced it.

I found that my caps were catching on the hairs as you pulled them out, working into the slits of the wings. I imagine if real sheep wool had been used it would be less of a problem.

I think all the wool does is keep the caps from falling out while "in action" and your lid is not snapped down. I don't find it necessary for skirmishing.

Steve

Mike Stein
05-02-2013, 12:24 AM
Keep your eyes peeled for shearling scrap. That bit of fuzz was hair on a lamb's hide and is meant to keep your caps from spilling. While you may find it a bother while standing on the skirmish line, remember that that cap box has plenty of opportunity to get upside down or in other poor attitudes when removing if from your body and putting it down someplace.

Ron/The Old Reb
05-02-2013, 08:23 AM
The two cap boxs I have I bought from Tommy Johnson years ago have the lams wool in them. Maybe he can supply you with some.

BADSHOT
05-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Hi Norm,
I can help you, I had the same issue, so I bought some scraps on e-bay. Look me up Sat. morning during carbine, I 'll have it in my shooting box. I shoot with Terry's Texas Rangers.
P.S.-If you bring down some epoxy, I'll help you fix it right there.
Steve Doyle

RaiderANV
05-02-2013, 09:28 AM
I bought a quality faux lamb wool from the fabric store in town and cut my strip and glued in using Gorilla Glue several years ago and not a problem since. I put it in all of mine.

norman horne, 12321
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Appreciate all the info. Special thanks to Steve; I will definitely find you Sat. if not before. Norm.

Rebel Dave
05-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Hi ALL You can get real Lambs Wool hides, with the hair on @ Tandy leather, if you are lucky enough to have one near you, or you can mail order it @ tandyleatherfactory.com. They also have good leather glue also. I fixed my cap pouch with some. Every time I bent over to get my bayonette, or some thing my caps would pour out, glued a piece of the lambs hide in and problem fixed. Rebel Dave

BADSHOT
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Glad to help!

S.Doyle
NRA-"Lifer" too!