PDA

View Full Version : Wingless RWS Musket Caps/CCI 4 Wing Reenactor Caps

Wayne M Clark
04-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Anyone using the new RWS Wingless Musket Caps? If so, how do they compare to the 4 wing German RWS.
Thanks,
W. Clark

Bob Seng, 10979
04-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Wayne,

John Hakes has used them for couple of years and has no major problem, they are just as hot as the winged caps and of course cost less.
They seem to blow off completely but you get the rare occasional on that wants to stick,since without the wings the take some smarts to off quick.

I'd use them when I run out off my winged ones cause of the price difference,

tonyb
04-06-2009, 12:39 AM
I think they took the wings off so they wouldn't fly off the nipple.

John Holland
04-06-2009, 01:49 AM
tonyb,

Having been involved in the metal stamping industry most of my life, I rather doubt that the "wings" were removed for any reason other than economics. The forming dies are cheaper because there is no "flanging operation", and more importantly the cost of the material is substantially reduced by eliminating the "wings". A quick estimate is 4 "wingless" caps produced for every 3 "winged" caps. Multiply that by millions and that is what the "bean counters" are interested in. Cost Analysis doesn't care if you can get the cap off the cone, or not.

Just my 2 cents.

JDH
Retired Tool & Die Maker

Edwin Flint, 8427
04-06-2009, 06:48 AM
With the cost of base metals up like they were last year, Mfgs were looking at cost cutting ways. No wings, less material, less cost. You couldn't leave copper around on a job site without it getting stolen or ripped out before you finish.

Copper is now a third of what it was and zinc half. Maybe the next batch of caps will be lower in cost. :roll: :?

FlinchJerk
04-06-2009, 11:09 AM
A few years back a shooter friend pointed out that the wingless caps threw much more fire than the winged ones. Having some ignition problems with an original Sharps carbine, I tried some wingless caps and the fail-to-ignite rate fell off to almost nothing. The flame travel distance in a Sharps (top of cone to orifice of the breech block cone) is 1.75 inches! Plus, the wingless caps were considerably less expensive at the time. Later, all caps seemed to cost the same.

The only drawbacks I noticed for wingless are 1.) They are trickier to fish out of a cap box, with no wings to assist handling ; 2.) Sometimes they get stuck together when the slits on the open end of one cap slide into the
corresponding slits on another one, needing two sets of fingers to pull apart. It can take a few extra seconds to react to the problem and secure a problem-free cap; 3.) When wingless caps get mixed with winged caps, the wingless will often slip top-first up into the winged caps, costing time like in problem #2.

So be careful not to mix cap types and take the time to check for stuck-together wingless in the cap box before going to the line.

I have not noticed that the wingless fragment much differently that the winged caps.....

Sincerely,
Dean Nelson
1st MD Infantry, CSA, N-SSA

Minieball577
04-06-2009, 05:45 PM
I agree with every problem noted by Mr. Nelson. However, with the cost savings and the fact that these are the only caps I can easily get onto my 1855 Rifle musket (which seems to have an extrememly close fitting nipple/lock area) the caps seem to work well. I have never had ignition problems with them.

Wayne M Clark
04-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Sounds like the wingless caps do ok. Stupid me , I thought they had just come out on the market. Anybody using CCI 4 wing, "Reenactor" caps?

tonyb
04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I think they took the wings off so they wouldn't fly off the nipple.

:shock: Really, you know this was a joke? :roll: "took off the wings so they wouldn't "fly" off the nipple" :roll: hoo boy!!

John Holland
04-06-2009, 09:58 PM
tonyb -

It "flew" right over my head ! ! !

JDH

norman horne, 12321
04-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Have not tried the new CCI caps for re-inactors, but I did call and talk to one of the techs at the CCI/Speer factory. He informed me that CCI was no longer making the style 300 musket cap; only the re-inactor cap. He also said that this new cap was not as "hot" as the old cap.

dstrong
04-08-2009, 08:01 PM
I too use the wingless and have for several years. I find that they are hotter, get jammed far less frequently than the winged ones and of course the price is better. Just my two kopecs.

Southron Sr.
03-29-2013, 08:25 PM
Don't waste your money on the CCI "Re-enactor Musket Caps." They are less than worthless.

I LUV THE RWS 'WINGLESS MUSKET CAPS," now, I prefer them over the winged musket caps.

snapcap14
03-31-2013, 08:27 PM
my shiloh sharps & I prefer the wingless. Wings seamed to jamb once in a while.

RangerFrog
04-01-2013, 03:39 PM
I was told last year that the wingless caps were being discontinued... has that situation (hopefully) changed? I certainly hope so since my Romano Maynard and Euroarms Zouave both do well with them. :D

Froggie

Mike McDaniel
04-01-2013, 04:07 PM
I've also heard the wingless caps have been discontinued. Which is why I'm sitting on 17,000 of them. :D

FWIW, they work fine. You don't cut your fingers on the flanges.