PDA

View Full Version : Original Smith Carbine and Colt m1860 Army cronographed!

Swede68
04-05-2009, 03:15 PM
I had the opportunity to cronograph my Smith CW carbine and Colt m1860 Army today, since a buddy had brought his crono to the range.

First of all, I should make it clear that I used Hodgdon 777 FFFG in both guns, not real blackpowder.

The Smith carbine surprised me in a big way. The 25 grains (actual wheight) of 777 propelled the 286 grains bullet to a speed of 975fps at V0, which translates to a muzzle energy of 814ftlbs. According to my calculations, 25 grains (actual wheight) of 777 is the equivalent of about 35 grains of blackpowder, and should pretty much represent a service load. There are no signs of excessive pressure on the plastic cases I´m using.

The Colt m1860 surprised me too, but in a rather disapointing way. I had chosen to charge it with 15 grains (actual wheight) of 777, as not to cause any accidents. This gave the 154 grain .454 round bullet a speed of merely 460fps, and a muzzle energy of just 72ftlbs!!!
As a comparison, the buddy with the cronograph shot his Remington NM Army, and he used Pyrodex from the spout of his flask. The volume equivalent was 28 grains of blackpowder according to him, and he got just about the same speed readings.
In other words, my charge of 15 grains actual wheight of 777 was not unusually light compared to what is usual among percussion revolver shooters.

As a comparison, a "regular" load for the .32S&W Wadcutter ammo used for targetshooting in semi automatics like Benelli, Pardini and so on hovers around 110-120ftlbs, and this is a cartridge made exclusively for punching holes in a paper target from 25 yards, with as little recoil as possible.

I´m going to up the charge in the revolver gradually, hoping to reach 18 to 20 grains (actual wheight) of 777 in the revolver. Naturally I will be paying close attention to the accuracy, and any signs of excessive pressure. But upping the charge should give me two positive effects. First, I won´t have to ram the bullet so far down the cylinder, because that can´t be good for accuracy (I´m not using filler, since it is not recomended with 777). Secondly, I want to reach something that at least resembles the energy of a "service load" for the Colt m1860, and 98J aint it, that I´m sure of!

Please give me your thoughts on the subject. I´m not going to hold anyone responsible or liable here, shooting antique guns has its risks, and when I´m the one doing it I accept that risk fully. But I´d aprecciate an open debate.

Regards!
Anders Olsson

Jim_Burgess_2078V
04-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Anders,

Thanks for sharing your results in your original firearms using 777 powder. As you may already know, all N-SSA competition requires the use of black powder only. Although the various black powder substitutes have certain advantages in terms of less fouling and some are non-corrosive, they are considerably more expensive than black powder. Thus I have never used any of the substitutes.

I use 15 grains of FFFg with a .375 roundball in my .36 caliber M1851 Colt Navy (2nd Generation) with no filler. In my .44 Colt Army (2nd Gen.) and .44 Remington (Pietta) I find 18-20 grains FFFg works well with a conical bullet. With roundballs 22-25 grains seems to work equally well and better fills the chambers without need for filler. The loads you describe certainly seem very light in comparison. What kind of groups are you getting? For target work we are obviously more concerned about getting consistent groups and not about velocity and energy.

I have shot original antique firearms on occasion but most of my competition shooting is with reproductions. I understand the restrictions you must live with in Sweden. I'll be thinking of you when I'm out shooting my original M1896 Swedish Mauser with cast bullets this weekend.

Jim Burgess, 15th Connecticut Vol. Inf.

Muley Gil
04-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Anders,

Thank you posting your results with the chronograph.

I believe the goal of most members of the N-SSA is to have an accurate load where the bullet barely tears the target and then falls into a pile about a foot behind the backer board.

Swede68
04-12-2009, 08:21 AM
Jim and Muley Gil, thanks for responding. Regarding target work, I do understand that precision comes foremost. I haven´t actually measured the groups my original Colt m1860 is capable of yet (haven´t had time to shoot it since I cronographed it).

I found this intresting thread regarding original loads for percussion revolvers when I googled a bit: http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=4947
Apart from actually telling us what amount of powder was originally used, its interesting to note is what Elmer Keith is reported to have written regarding precision/powdercharge.

Regarding my loads being on the low end when I cronographed it, there is no question about that. I used a round ball, and after careful calculation the 15 grains (actual wheight) of FFFG 777 equals only 20 grains of "generic brand" blackpowder. Definitely too little, although I´m surprised to find that a lot of folks are using this amount, or even slightly less.

I´m going to keep experimenting, and I expect to end up at rougly 20grains (actual wheight) of 777, but I´m going to take it step by step, and monitor the precision as I go.

Jim, thanks for thinking of me in light of our Swedish firearms laws. Though I must tell you that I can pretty much get a permit on any handgun or rifle here in Sweden, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through. Besides the antique guns, I do have two large guncabinets filled with pistols, rifles and revolvers that do require permits, among them a more or less mint 6,5X55 Swedish Mauser that gets shot about once a year (the occasion being my clubs 300 meter championship).

Best regards!
Anders Olsson

imarangemaster
05-07-2009, 01:16 PM
When I did the Cowboy Chronicle article on Hodgden Triple 7 years ago, Mike Daly told me that 777 uses about 15% less volume to achieve the same velocity as BP:

i.e 38 grain volume of Triple 7 FFG in my original 1860 Spencer I had was the equivalent of about 42ish grains of Goex BP. And the sight were consistent with that load out to 300 with the Rapine 56-56 mold and BAC brass. Some of the Spencer Shooters on the Spencer Shooting Society board choreographed various loads several years ago using both powders, and it seem to bear out.

I used 25 grains volume triple 7 with a 454 round ball in a New Model Army 44 (Uberti) for CAS shooting. 30 grains volume of Goex FFG with bore butter or tallow/beeswax mix gave me the the best groups, however!

Swede68
05-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Thanks!
Great info

Regards!
Anders Olsson