PDA

View Full Version : How to determine value of 1941 303 Enfield

us1863
04-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Having trouble determining the value of a British Enfield 303 ROFM Number 4 MK1 1941 with the bayonet. Have seen several in great condition (90%) with asking prices ranging between $275 and $400, then I came across this S.P. Fjestad 30th Edition Blue Book of Gun Values. A friend of mine wants to sell his Enfield in great condition (90%) but the book shows a value of $675. I am NOT selling this Enfield here, just looking for pricing advice and how to make good use of the Fjestad book, given the prices are much higher than what I see listed on-line.

If anyone knows about 303 Enfields, please chime in. Can include photos if needed. sold

SHARPS4953
04-27-2013, 12:03 AM
I have several Brit Enfields including the T-sniper model with repro scope on it. As with most guns the high value is determined by condition and matching serial numbers. They made millions of the things in England and India. The Indian 308 rifles are even commading top prices. Ive seen some with unit numbers on them which had a high value. Id say a good working WWII model with mismatched numbers goes between $250 to $450. Matching bayonet and serials $550 and up. A great gun, I think the best bolt action of WW1 and WW2. sorry springfield..
My 2 cents

bobanderson
04-27-2013, 06:47 AM
A great gun, I think the best bolt action of WW1 and WW2. sorry springfield..

The old quote from WW1 was, "The Germans had the best hunting rifle, the Americans had the best target rifle, but the British had the best battle rifle"

The really neat thing to do with an SMLE is a "mad minute" - Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQnWXEM_9bk

Ron/The Old Reb
04-27-2013, 08:27 AM
A friend who owned one of the largest firearms stores in the area. Told me a number of years ago that the Blue Book of Gun Values tends to be low with it's values. That you should add about one third to what the book says.

jonk
04-27-2013, 09:50 AM
So much depends on condition that it's hard to say. You say 90%; that sounds pretty good, but it is a subjective thing. Your 90% might be a beater to someone else.

To accurately price the gun we'd need good photos at least. How's the bore? Are numbers matching? Is the gun altered in any way? Standard rear sight or windage adjustable? A standard No4Mk1 or a *? Rearsenalled?

For a run of the mill gun I'd go up to $350 in that shape. I paid $275 for a similar one a few years ago so a bit more than that.

OTOH, if something is unique about it, it could go for more.

cowrustler
04-27-2013, 10:01 AM
I have no idea about Enfields but I find most pricing guides tend to be way high. Dealers and writers of these guides sometimes have a vested interest in high prices but putting a value on anything like used or antique guns is a tough job. I wish I could get "book" out of the guns I have should I decide to sell them.

Muley Gil
04-27-2013, 04:52 PM
I have sold several British guns here, including an Indian SMLE:

http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.com/

BTW, the site is run by a skirmisher.

us1863
04-27-2013, 05:03 PM
For you British Enfield enthusiasts, just had a guy knowledgeable about British Enfields look at this one. He said this gun is more like 65% condition with good bore but was reconditioned by Fazackerly, hence the ROFM stamped on the left hand side of the receiver. Think he said it stood for Royal Ordinance Fazackerly M something. At any rate it is reconditioned with mismatched serial numbers on bolt and receiver but otherwise in good condition. He said it was worth about $450 because it is a 1941 model. Apparently there were not too many 1941 models made as mass production to be issued to the troops didn't start until 1942. One thing he did say is the leather strap alone is worth about $175. It has some surface mildew on it but it wipes right off.

The photos show a bayonet but this one is for an MK 7 Enfield, a modern rifle.

Does this match with what you guys know about Enfields?