PDA

View Full Version : Navy Arms Smith Barrel?

ShooterJim
04-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know the date Navy Arms fixed the problem with the barrels on their Smith carbines?

Muley Gil
04-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I was away from skirmishing for a while.

What problem did Navy Arms have with the barrels?

Edwin Flint, 8427
04-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Several years back, Navy Arms and DGW received shipment of Smith Carbines that had barrels that were "poorly" rifled.(I am trying to be polite). Most I saw were bored backward, wider at the muzzle than the breech. There were many other different barrel defects also. They were useless for shooters. Navy and DGW were selling these at heavily discounted prices after they were returned. The only way they were made to shoot was to have Bobby Hoyt re-line the barrel. Many, including mine were done this way.

I have not heard any complaints about the current production of these guns. A team member shoots one with good results. You still need to watch what you are buying as there are still a number of these old defective guns showing up. A team mate bought two Smiths that were brand new about three years ago. One of these had the defective bore. It was one that had been floating around for several years.

ShooterJim
04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Is there a way to tell if it has a bad barrel before buying it? Perhaps by the date code"

Lou Lou Lou
04-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Wasn't there also an issue with some cleanout screws blowing out?

JimSmith
04-04-2009, 06:33 PM
The cleanout screw on my Pietta Smith was very short, down to two threads when I bought it (the gun) used. I chased out the threads and replaced the screw. I have since been checking it. After two years there has been very little reduction in the screw length. Less than one thread lost.

Back on the original subject, slugging the barrel showed that it was a trumpet. So, I had it relined.

Edwin Flint, 8427
04-04-2009, 06:53 PM
Slugging the bore is the only way to know for sure.

I don't know of anyone that has the lot/year/serial # range for the Smiths with the problem. Some had wavy rifling, not a consistent twist. These could be seen with the eye. This usually meant a problem. I found one that had a gap in the middle. Narrow on both ends and 2-4 inch gap in the center where the slug would fall through before it picked up the rifling again.

ShooterJim
04-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Thanks, I know the store clerk most likely won't want me to slug the bore before buying, going by the date code this one was made in 1998, it appears unfired but I'm not sure. The bore looks new and the rifleing seems even as far as I can tell with a bore light and my eye. Do you know what diameter most of these Navy Arms Smith bores run. what mold do most guys use for these.
Thanks again

Wayne M Clark
04-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Jim,
With the clerk's permission another possibility is to use a 50 cal cleaning rod and patch . From the breech use a tight fitting rod/patch combination and see if it lets go midway down the bore.
W. Clark

ShooterJim
04-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks Wayne, I'll try and do just that.

Edwin Flint, 8427
04-04-2009, 11:32 PM
For what it is worth, mine was made in 93 and it had the problem before I re-lined it. The problem ran for a few years there. I suspect that by 98 it was corrected but don't count on it without checking.

Ask for permission for an inspection by a gunsmith. The business should allow you to return it if it remains unfired and doesn't pass a gunsmith's inspection.

ShooterJim
04-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Thanks Edwin, I appreciate the help.

ShooterJim
04-05-2009, 06:50 AM
While looking for info on the NA Smith barrels I came across this article and found it to be informative. In case anyone else is interested: http://www.civilwarguns.com/9812.html

Hambone
04-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Attached is an article listing the date codes for the Italian repro guns.
https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/ ... fmarks.pdf (https://store.bluebookinc.com/Info/PDF/POWDER/MBPProofmarks.pdf)