PDA

View Full Version : Whitney barrel finish

Terry Davis 10639
04-04-2009, 09:59 AM
A guy on our team has a JR whitney. He asked me if they were originally browned or bright finish.
I can't find a clear answer in Flaydermans.

They clearly state that the Harpers Ferry produced 1855 rifle was actually browned, but I can't find anything about finish for the 1855 type rifles Whitney built from 1855 surplus/condemned parts.

Terry

John Holland
04-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Terry,

According to the late Howie Madaus, in his book "The Warner's Collectors Guide to American Longarms" page 110, the Whitney 1855 Derivative Militia Rifles had a "Browned" finish.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Terry Davis 10639
04-05-2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks

Terry,

According to the late Howie Madaus, in his book "The Warner's Collectors Guide to American Longarms" page 110, the Whitney 1855 Derivative Militia Rifles had a "Browned" finish.

John Holland
Chairman, Small Arms Committee

Eric A. Savickas, 08663V
04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
55 rifle barrels had a coating of shellac and "dragon's blood" on them.

hwaugh
04-05-2009, 10:05 PM
We know that these barrels are Harper's Ferry 55' rifle barrels sold to Whitney as rejects. These barrels are dated (usually 1858) and will have the eagle head and VP applied to them. The question is were these barrels browned and then rejected or were they rejected before browning. The possiblity exists that Whiitney browned them himself since we know that his Whitney Enfield rifle barrels were often browned. The Whiitney derivitive rifle I own has no browning and appears never to have had any. I have seen two others and they appear to never had any browning. I suspect John Holland or Pete Albee would have a solid idea as to the true finish on these barrels. Any thoughts here John?

Minieball577
04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
To support what Harry has seen, but not to refute Mr. Holland or Mr. Madaus, the 1855 derivitive Whitney we had appears never to have had any browning on it, or any other finish for that matter. The barrel was finished armory bright.

John Holland
04-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Mr. Waugh has very kindly permitted me to inspect his example of the 1855 Derivitive Whitney Militia Rifle, and it is true, there is no evidence of any browning. And, believe me, I thought about that example before responding! But, I have also seen Mississipi Rifles that showed no evidence of browning, even though they were definitely browned originally. The original browning was very delicate and easily removed. As for Howie Madaus, the man was phenomenal, and unfortunately left this earth far too prematurely. I wish I knew where Howie got his reference on the Whitney Militia Rifles.

JDH