PDA

View Full Version : Trigger pull on 1842 springfield smoothbore

jonk
04-21-2013, 10:35 PM
I have an original 1842 that I've started shooting this year, after our team gunsmith gave it the once over, and did some light filing to some of the lock work. But it still has about a 30 lb trigger pull. The gunsmith pointed out just where to apply a thin shim with some solder to further lighten it. I'm pretty good with solder, but while I've done a good bit of basement gunsmithing, never anything like this.

Can anyone confirm where to solder (pics would be great but a description would do) as he showed me some months ago, and any tips before I try this?

Ron/The Old Reb
04-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Go to the Northwest Territory link. There is a good article by David France with illustrations on how to lighten a trigger pull. Instead of soldering the shim I used Locktight Black Max, witch David also says you can use, and so far has held up good. The only problem is finding it. The only place I could fine it was Midway USA.

jonk
04-22-2013, 01:25 PM
Thanks Ron. Most helpful. I'll probably give it a shot this weekend.

B-Davis
04-22-2013, 01:30 PM
I just used that article for my 1842 smoothbore. The orginal pull was 10.5 lbs. I purchased two orginal sear springs and a repro. spring for the orginals. I took the repro. spring and removed abput 1/4 of the metal the length of the spring that makes contact with the sear. The trigger pull now is a crisp 4.5 pounds. If you look at my thread a little below yours about the 1842, my last post has a picture of my target this past week shooting off-hand! The article is full of GREAT information!

Bryan