PDA

View Full Version : Parker-Hale vs. Euroarms Breech Plugs

Oyvind
04-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Does anyone know whether the threads of the original British-made Parker-Hale Enfield and Whitworth breech plugs and the Italian plugs differed? I know the nipple threads differ, but what about the rest?

Southron Sr.
04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
While I can't answer that question, you have to keep in mind that in later years, Euroarms was assembling "Parker-Hale Enfields" for Navy arms under the Parker-Hale brand name. My understanding is that for those arms, the barrels were made in the old Parker-Hale plant by Armalon on the old Parker-Hale barrel making machinery. The English made barrels were then shipped to Armi San Paolo (the Euroarms factory) to be mated with the rest of the arm, which, of coruse, consisted of Italian made parts. That being said-the Euroarms Enfields, sold under the Euroarms name brand were 100% Italian made.

If I were to guess, I think that the Parker-Hale breech threads are copied directly from the original English breech threads while the Euroarms barrels utilize metric threads.

Blair
04-09-2013, 04:24 PM
European metric and American Standard threads are based off of a 60 degree pitch angle. Where as the English Whitworth thread is set up on a 55 degree pitch.
They could be very close, but wont quite fully interchange.
I hope this helps,
Blair

Southron Sr.
04-11-2013, 11:35 AM
I would suggest you contact Navy Arms for the answer to that question. YOu can Google their webiste.

Oyvind
04-25-2013, 03:31 PM
I got an replacement bolster with tang and breech plug from a generous member of this forum. While it had Italian proof marks, the threads were indeed British (at least a 5/16 x 18 nipple fits). I do hope the rest of the threads are British too. I will find it out in a couple of weeks.