PDA

View Full Version : Option for cannon owners

RaiderANV
04-08-2013, 04:26 AM
With the cost of powder and other factors this may be an option for practicing!
Would be more fun if it had a Maynard tape primer. :cool:

http://www.thewhig.com/2012/05/25/discovering-fort-henry

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
04-08-2013, 07:00 AM
One of my favorite guns to shoot was the M-2 .50 cal. machine gun, affectionatly known as 'Ma Deuce'. In the Mighty Eight Air Force Museum outside of Savannah, Georgia, they have an exhibit where you can be a waist gunner in a B-17. I don't know how they did it, but it's a real gun, and it even jumps in your hands as you shoot at the video images of Nazi fighter planes whizzing by.

Those 8th lads took some really heavy losses in WWII. A fantastic museum to visit if you ever have the chance. http://mightyeighth.org/

rachbobo
04-08-2013, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101;30124]One of my favorite guns to shoot was the M-2 .50 cal. machine gun, affectionatly known as 'Ma Deuce'. In the Mighty Eight Air Force Museum outside of Savannah, Georgia, they have an exhibit where you can be a waist gunner in a B-17. I don't know how they did it, but it's a real gun, and it even jumps in your hands as you shoot at the video images of Nazi fighter planes whizzing by.

Go to Camp Merrill outside Dahlonega Ga, home of the 5th Ranger Bn and Mountain Phase of Ranger school in May when they have their open house.
Along with the Ranger reunion,demos and ceremonies they have weapons anyone can fire shooting blanks.
Everything from the M-4 carbine right up to the M-2 Browning 50 cal.
I was a trip watching a little girl about 7 years old squeal and giggle as she stood on a box and cut loose with a short belt from the 50 cal.

Bill Cheek

Southron Sr.
04-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Back in the 1960's both myself and my brother attended Georgia Military College in Milledgeville, GA.

IT WAS A REAL MILITARY SCHOOL-

The first time I saw "Full Metal Jacket" I kept wondering WHY the D.I. was coddling and pampering his recruits. Compared what I went through my first year at G.M.C.-the recruits in the movie had it easy.

Anyway, G.M.C. had a "Haircut Inspection" every Friday morning at the 8:10 formation. The rules were simple, you had to have "White Sidewalls" and on top, your hair couldn't be more than 1/4" long. In actual fact, the barbers just shaved our heads ever Thursday afternoon by making a few passes with their electric hair cutters.

MY brother, got a job at a Girls Camp near Dahlonega working in the stable. He had to leave G.M.C. at the end of the school year and head immediately to the girl's camp because there was a lot of work to be done before the campers arrived at the beginning of the camp session.

He was working in the stable on the second day after he got there. Some Rangers carrying M-16's came into camp carrying M-16's.

What was going on was that there was an 'Escape and Evasion School' taking place at the Ranger base. They spotted my brother with his military hair cut and literally dragged him off.

He kept trying to tell them that he wasn't in the army, etc.

After they got to the Ranger base, it took about an hour for them to determine MY BROTHER WASN'T IN THE ARMY!!

A Colonel drove him back to the camp and apologized for the mix up!

As for my brother-he thought the "adventure" was fun!

rachbobo
04-08-2013, 02:55 PM
I attend the Open House/Ranger Reunions at Camp Merrill every now and then.
The 5th Ranger Bn Training puts on quite a show and it's open to the public.
It's worth the drive for anyone close or interested.

Bill Cheek

rachbobo
04-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Funny how things work out. I just got an email from the Mountain Ranger Association at Camp Merrill.
It said that the Open House this year is cancelled and the events being held are not open to the public this year.
I could attend but will be busy that weekend. Maybe next year.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles