PDA

View Full Version : WTB Ear Plugs

macvcallsign
04-02-2013, 01:22 PM
A few years ago there was a Sutler along the road that sold custom ear plugs. He would pour a liquid into your ear that would harden but still be soft. They came in colors also. Does anyone know if he is still around and/or how to contact him if he is still in the business?
I have been using them and they work great. Cut way down on the decibles yet can still hear normal speech.

Dennis Schuler
4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA
1561V

Larry Chiarizia
04-03-2013, 12:25 PM
I have his card somewhere, but you can get the same stuff at Bass Pro or Cabalas and DYI.

macvcallsign
04-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks Larry,

I will try those stores. If you run across his card please let me know. I have had excellent results with the ones I have and would like to see if he will be at the Nationals again.

Dennis Schuler
1561V

Terry Schultz, 10057
04-04-2013, 11:27 PM
The ones from Bass Pro or Cabalas never worked as good or fit as well as the ones that the guy at the fort made.

macvcallsign
04-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Hi Terry,

Thanks for the feed back. Would still prefer to buy from the sutler at the Nationals if he is still around.

Dennis Schuler
1561V

macvcallsign
04-09-2013, 09:56 AM
BTT, Still Looking for that Sutler.

David Disher 12143
04-09-2013, 10:00 AM
I bought a pair from that sutler at the fort 3 years ago, and they still hold up great, fit perfectly, and I hope they never wear out. Tried to find a pair for my wife, and bought the kind sold at Cabelas...you have to mix it yourself, and then press it into your ear. They do not cure as well, and certainly do not fit very good. The guy at the fort actually injected the stuff into my ear, and the result is well worth it. I have been looking for him every season...seems like he could make a small fortune showing up once a year.

David Disher

hp gregory
04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
years back they used to have people at friendship that made these ear plugs. i think i had 6 or 8 sets made over a long period of time. some worked realy good, some not. the ones that worked the best were made by a guy that made a living making them. thats all he did was go around to factorys and shooting events making custom plugs. he said that in order to get a good fit the material had to be pushed into the ear slightly to pack it a little. knowing how much was the trick. while you were siting there waiting for the material to set up you needed to stay relaxed and not move around any. if you did that when they took the plugs out you still had a nice snug fit that sealed up realy well. if they dont seal well they realy dont work all that good. the ones that worked the best were almost as good as a set of muffs. they work great for most black powder guns however for modern rifles and pistols i would strongly suggest using the plugs along with muffs. hearing is something that cant be regained once its lost.

hp

Gene w/1st Stuart
04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
I recommend going to an Audiologist. They will take an impression and send them out to be make. The turn around takes about 2 weeks. I paid $65. for mine.

macvcallsign
04-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Yes Dave, You are sooo right! Have had my pair for about 8 yrs and they are still as good as new. Have been looking for this sutler for a couple of years now, hoping he would show up again, since I now use a different shooting box for each gun I shoot would like to have a set in each box so I don't have to switch them. Have left them in my smoothbore box and didn't have them the next day for Musket matches.

Well, all I can do is keep hoping he shows up again at a National!

Dennis Schuler
1561V

PS: You are right HP, I switch to muffs when I shoot High Power.

MR. GADGET
04-09-2013, 01:32 PM
I could use some also, maybe we could get someone to coume out at nationals one day or two and set up a time to have them made.

John Holland
04-09-2013, 03:34 PM
I would say contact the newly appointed Sutler Officer, Linwood McMahon, whose contact info is listed in the current Skirmish Line. Since he was involved in assisting Tommy for the several years I'm sure he has the records of which Sutler was there, and when.

macvcallsign
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
John,

Now why didn't I think of that?:D Thanks for the tip. You're still the most intelligent guy I know!!!

Dennis Schuler(Brad's Dad)
1561V

I sent a e-mail to Linwood to see if he has any record of this Sutler.

macvcallsign
04-16-2013, 12:22 PM
BTT, Still looking for info.

Jack C., 69th NY
04-16-2013, 11:29 PM
About 5(?) years ago this sutler replaced the plastic case that my 10 year old ear plugs were contained in. On my case, it says "ESP Electronic Shooters , www.ESPAmerica.com (http://www.ESPAmerica.com) , 800-767-7791. It was given to me to replace the original case that I ruined trying to clean in a dishwasher, it melted into a blob. ESP is the maker of pricey ear plugs and I am not sure if they made the molded plugs at the Nationals. Give them a call, they may be able to help you find this person?
Good luck!

bobanderson
04-17-2013, 07:39 AM
There is a guy that sells these at Camp Perry, OH, during the CMP games and the National Matches in July and August.

Check out http://www.odcmp.com/NM/CommercialRow.htm

Good luck. I bought a pair at Camp Perry and if anything, they are too good.

Don Branch 12592
04-17-2013, 01:54 PM
According to Tommy's records, The Sutler that set up along the creek at the 2010 Fall Nationals was Shooters Safety Products (John Romanko) of Connellsville PA. 724-628-2437.

Don

macvcallsign
04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
According to Tommy's records, The Sutler that set up along the creek at the 2010 Fall Nationals was Shooters Safety Products (John Romanko) of Connellsville PA. 724-628-2437.

Don /BBT, Don, I called John Romanko and he is the sutler that has been at the Nationals. He told me he is planning to be at the Fall Nationals this year but does not think he will be able to make the Spring. This is a sideline for him and he is currently working 7 days a week.

To all the responses here, keep his number handy and call him on occasion to let him know we are interested.

Thanks to all for the help.

Dennis Schuler
1561V

macvcallsign
04-23-2013, 03:44 PM
BTT, Found Him! See last post.