PDA

View Full Version : Rifled 1842 Thoughts and Opinions

B-Davis
04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
I just had the chance to go out today and start working on my new project! I purchased an original 1842 smoothbore, and I decided to purchase a rifled Whitacre barrel for it. I checked ever everything that I could think of to ensure that I had a "decent" day at the range. The barrel has a good fit in the stock, the front band is tight and does not wiggle on the barrel. Everything looks good on the rifle, so I am pleased with that. I pulled out my old Rapine .685 wadcutter mould. The bore to the rifle is .687 and I cast up the Rapine bullets, and put them through the sizer and made them a true .685. They go down great! I decided to go from 50 grains to 58 grains of powder. (The powder I used was 2F KIK) The rear sight is the long range sight designated for the rifled model 1842, with the "V" notch long range sight. So , after trying out the powder charges, I came up with two that I am happy with. I have posted them below. I am quite pleased with the results! My first questions is what is the best way on lowering the sight picture since I can not bugger up the front sight? I am thinking about cutting the "V" notch deeper with a jewlers saw and honing/filing off the top of the crescent to the proper height. My second question is I have done nothing to the lock as of yet. I am in the process of buying new internal parts. I have just purchased an extra orginial main spring and sear spring. As to the other internals, should I buy repro parts or orginial parts? Also, what would be the best way of lightening up the trigger pull? As of right now, I would say it is in the area of 10 lbs. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated! Bryan 15671568So

B-Davis
04-01-2013, 01:51 PM
BTW- I was shooting at 50 yards, and the rifle was benched. The trigger has no slop or play. Will reducing the weight of the pull help to tighten up the group? Bryan

Blair
04-01-2013, 02:41 PM
Bryan,

What kind of a sight picture were you taking off the bench at 50 yrds?

B-Davis
04-01-2013, 04:41 PM
I was "lollipoping" at 50yds. Hence the top of the front sight was resting at 6 o'clock on the target.

efritz
04-01-2013, 04:47 PM
Bryan,

First suggestion is get rid of the .69. 58 grs is going to beat you up in the course of a day. Go back to .58 cal. or even .54. Lighten up on the powder and shoot all day. That said. Second suggestion. Rear sights go in the direction you want the bullet to hit. Front sights in the opposite. Filing a deeper groove will lower the group but you have to bury the front sight in the V notch. If you file a deeper groove but keep the front sight even with the top of the V, it won't move. Speaking of group. I always go with ten shots for proving guns and ammo. I had a hodgden with a Zouave that shot the prettiest 8 shots in the ten ring and 2 that would go for 8's or 7's, high right (benched). That may be ok is some peoples minds but on a ten shot target that will just drive people bonkers. Also, benching is great for proving guns and ammo, but you should sight in using off hand. Reason being off the bench recoil is mostly straight back. Off hand recoil is up and back. It could be the difference of a ten being a 9. Not acceptable. As long as you're SQUEEEEEEEZING the trigger your proofing should work. Trigger pull can wait til you get the parts and work done. But don't try sighting in until then.

Hope this helps. Hope to see you this year. We're always having fun.

Eric

B-Davis
04-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Eric, This rifle is just a fun gun. I won't use it for serious team competition. I have the Whitney and the Colt for that. The rifle seems to like 52 grains of powder, not 58. This rifle is for deer hunting, woods walks during the winter, and maybe some individuals. I will be working in the smoothbore barrel though for comp. it is in very good shape and hopefully shoot well. As for me this season, I would like to be out there, it just depends on my daughters progress. Hopefully by next year I can be out there more than I have been. I miss you guys!

jmiller
04-01-2013, 05:26 PM
I shoot 50 grains with the rapine wadcutter using goex. same recoil as my enfield. shoots great groups with a Hoyt reline.

gemmer
04-03-2013, 10:02 AM
I shoot 50 grains with the rapine wadcutter using goex. same recoil as my enfield. shoots great groups with a Hoyt reline.

I agree. Equal charges behind a .69 semi- wadcutter or a .58 traditional minie produce the about the same felt recoil, at least for me.
My rifled '42 is a favorite. A higher front sight blade with a notched out bottom can be epoxied to fit over the existing sight. Make it thick enough so that you can file off one side for windage. You may want to use a repro front band for this.

Duane

rampa_room_artillery
04-03-2013, 06:44 PM
what is the price to have hoyt reline the 69 cal rifled barrel?

Rick bryan

jmiller
04-03-2013, 07:02 PM
what is the price to have hoyt reline the 69 cal rifled barrel?

Rick bryan

I can't say, I bought it after it was lined.

R. McAuley 3014V
04-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Rick,

Hoyt and Whitacre's prices are about the same (around $220-$250) and both offer discounts on multiple barrel jobs. Larry Romano is also offering relining services, and I have to admit that after seeing one of Romano's barrels with the grooves polished mirror bright, I for one was willing to pay more. Neither Hoyt nor Whitacre offer that service, least not that I am aware, and I have used all three men.

Blair
04-04-2013, 03:30 PM
It is my understanding that Pedersoli rifled firearms are broached or otherwise known as buttoned rifled after the grooves are cut.
The reason for this is not to cut the rifling but rather to polish the groves of the rifling equal to the surface of the lands.
It might be something worth looking into?
Blair

Southron Sr.
04-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Reading about your '42 has gotten me in a nostalgic mood, "Snif...Snif..."

'Twas back in the days where the FINAL EVENT in the Musket Team Matches at a Nationals was always the "Stake Event" {Cutting a wooden stake in half using rifle fire.}

The late, Great John Stotler had a special M1842 for the Stake Event. It was a rifled "Fremont Model" with the Long Range Rear Sight. The best part was his Minie Balls.

He had taken a regular Lyman .69 Caliber Minie Ball Mould, threw it on his lathe and Bored Out the nose all the way through the top of the mould. So, in effect, he had a L-O-N-G .69 Caliber Wadcutter! Those "Minie Balls" he cast in that modified Lyman mould had to weigh somewhere around 1,000 Grains each!

He commented about the rifle: "I Call it Termite II and it will devastate a stake." "It KICKS like a mule and I am thinking about buying a lead mine so I can continue to feed it!"

I doubt that John weighed over 140 pounds-so he was a REAL MAN to handle that recoil. Of course, he only brought Termite II out for only the Stake Event.

John was a good man-I miss him.

Muley Gil
04-07-2013, 10:06 AM
I knew a member of the Division of Marines, CSS Virginia that had a .69 musket that he used for the stake event also. As a 16 year old young skirmisher, I handled a .69 full wadcutter and was really impressed!

B-Davis
04-12-2013, 02:26 PM
I just want to thank Dave Booze and his article on lock work and trigger pull. I used his suggestions, and I have reduced the trigger pull to 5 lbs. which is quite servicable for what I need/want the rifle for. I will still look for spare parts for the lock though, can never have enough!
Bryan

B-Davis
04-21-2013, 02:52 PM
1663I just attached this photo from this week. I had a chance to take the rifle out, and this was the final result at 50 yds. The target is the standard size of a clay. The first shot was on a bench-rest. For some reason, every shot from the bench-rest was high. I decided to shoot from off hand, and this was the final result. Shots 2-5 are all in the black. The sixth round, I was excited and I flinched. The sixth round is still touching the black. I just wanted to once again thank all of you who had sent me advice to help me with this project. I am quite happy with the rifled barrel, now I hope to start working with the smoothbore barrel at some point this Spring/Summer. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start? I have a .678 Ideal mould and I have been told to roll the balls in ALOX. Other than that, any suggestions as to powder charge? Once again, thank you for any advice! Bryan