PDA

View Full Version : Rookie question on Pietta revolvers for N-SSA events

SN1864
03-30-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm considering joining the N-SSA soon and am also considering purchase of a Civil War reproduction revolver in the near future.

I've reviewed the 2013 N-SSA acceptable fireams list, and it appears that the standard Pietta reproductions of either the 1858 or 1860 Army revolvers are acceptable for competition. Is this correct?

Are there any other limitations on either the 1858 or 1860 Pietta reproductions, or are the ones currently available through Cabela's, Falls Creek Sutler, and other sources acceptable?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. Please feel free to post here, or to contact me by email at Tim@KlobLawFirm.com or by PM.

Southron Sr.
04-03-2013, 11:19 PM
First of all, most N-SSA shooters prefer the replicas of the Remington 1858 revolver over that of the replicas of the Colts because the "solid frame" Remmies are considered to be more accurate.

Both Pietta and Uberti manufacture high quality, N-SSA "Approved" replicas of the '58 Remmie Revolver.

Pietta also manufactures a "Shooters Revolver" that is a "dead ringer" for an original '58 Remmie and it is considered to be the most accurate of all the Pietta Remmie replicas-it is also the most costly. Dixie Gun Works usually carries those guns in stock and and quite often, puts them on sale at reduced retail prices.

Whatever you do, avoid those brass frame replicas of the Remmie '58 revolver. Those are "fantasy guns" (they never existed during the Civil War) and ARE NOT N-SSA "Approved."

WELCOME TO THE N-SSA! What you will find out after being a member for a while is the BEST thing about the ASSOCIATION is all the wonderful people that are members!

Mike McDaniel
04-04-2013, 10:15 AM
The big question is how much you are willing/able to spend. All the steel-framed Remington repros are approved (and I honestly cannot recommend any Colt repro for precision work). But there is a vast difference between the plinker-grade guns and the high-end shooters.

Of the production guns, I'd rate them in the following order:

1. Hege Remington and FWB Rogers & Spencer. These are both $1700 guns, very high quality.
2. Pedersoli Remington and R&S. These could use a trigger tuneup, but the base gun is outstanding.
3. Pietta Shooter's Model. This needs a trigger job, often a reworked forcing cone, but has potential.
4. Pietta
5. Uberti

If you are going to be at the Nationals, I'd talk to either Rob Lewis or Charlie Hahn about getting a revolver accurized. Rob usually has three or four guns available for sale, or can rework your gun. This should cost you about $800 for a complete gun.

Maillemaker
04-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Are the Pedersoli revolvers N-SSA approved?

Steve

Mike McDaniel
04-04-2013, 11:42 AM
Not to my knowledge, but it would not take much to get an individual arms approval for one.

Maillemaker
04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Which part of the rules describes the individual approval process?

Is it section 14.8 of the rules?

http://www.n-ssa.org/NATIONAL/RulesJan2013.pdf

Steve

Blair
04-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Pedersoli did manufacture a Remington and R&S percussion revolvers (bought from Euroarms) but finished with Pedersoli's normal quality.
To my knowledge (and I could be wrong) they were both approved by N-SSA SAC before the take over/sell out.
Now that Pedersoli owns the Euroarms product line, I can't honestly say if Pedersoli is in production these two percussion revolvers at this time.
Should SAC require a re submission of these two revolvers, I am sure Pedersoli will be more than happy to comply, along with their normal quality control.

Mike McDaniel
04-04-2013, 09:12 PM
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_55/pistols-remington-pattern-remington-pattern-pedersoli-target.html is the current Pedersoli Remington.