PDA

View Full Version : CCI musket caps

Fly
03-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Well in another post I was having trouble finding musket caps.I finally found CCI musket caps in Tulsa.
They are not Re-Enactor Musket Caps, which I have read is good.They might have been on the shelf
a while, who knows.

My question is, are the Re-Enactor Musket Caps all that CCI makes any more?If I was forced to buy
Re-Enactor Musket Caps in the future will they even work in my Sharps?

Fly

Jim_Burgess_2078V
03-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Fly: The old CCI 6-wing musket caps worked great in the Sharps. Just be sure to wear eye protection because the wings can potentially fragment upon detonation. CCI discontinued these caps after a re-enactor not wearing safety glasses was injured and sued them. The new 4-wing CCI "reenactor" caps are less powerful. While they may ignite your powder charge, there is more potential for hang fires and slow ignition in the Sharps which will translate to wild flyers unless you can hold rock steady on target. RWS (German) musket caps used to work fine in my Sharps but about 10-12 years ago I got a batch that gave me misfires and hang-fires so that is when I switched to CCI. The wingless RWS musket caps I'm using now go bang but I'm getting inconsistent results with them in the Sharps. The N-SSA is trying to get CCI to make a limited run of hot 4-wing caps for N-SSA consumption only. It remains uncertain that CCI will agree to do so but if they do it is not likely they will be marketed to the general public.
Jim Burgess, 15th CVI

Fly
03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Thank you Jim, you guys are the best.But it seems we early paper cutter guy's are in store for tuff times.Jim I'm a
retired tool & die maker.I plan to make a die to produce the copper shell for the musket caps if this shortage continues.

If this shortage keeps I will be forced to make my own caps not that I want to.

Fly

Blair
03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
There are two potential issues here as I understand it.
One, maybe from the metal cap body not being annelid after being formed in the six wing caps. I don't know for sure. I never used them. But, this would cause the metal body of the cap to be more subject to fracturing or splintering on ignition.

Two, is that many reenacter types had issues, especially with the '55, '61 and Richmond type bolster arrangement, with ignition. Many within the reenacting community advocated drilling out the nipple/cone ignition hole. This will allow gas pressure back through the enlarged hole. (Perhaps, causing the cap body to fragment More?)
Whereas, a thorough cleaning of the firearm and touch hole/clean out screw area, may have been a better solution to solving the issue than drilling out the nipple/cone.

Fly
03-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Blair you bring out a a very good point about annealing.I really feel CCI knows this.I worked in a R&D dept for many years
& I must think they know.The #11 caps are annealed I can a sure you of this.But this is such a small market for these folks.
I just hope they don't give it up all together.

I'm 68 years old, & in the 1970's tradtional black powder fire arms & kits were sold in EVERY sporting goods.We have really
shunk in the black powder industry & it worrys me.Other thoughts would be welcome!

Fly;)

Maillemaker
03-28-2013, 09:32 PM
My hope is the current expense of modern firearms and ammo drives interest in BP arms.

I was disheartened to hear that N-SSA membership is only 3700 or so members and has declined some 300 people since 2009, as I recall from the last Skirmish Line.

Steve

Ron/The Old Reb
03-29-2013, 08:02 AM
"The NSSA has declined some 300 members"
It's the economy and until someone in Washington turns it around it's going to continue. Went to my favorite meat market yesterday and hamburg was $4.00 a pound. Guess I'll have to turn vegetarian.:mad:

iron brigade
03-29-2013, 08:06 AM
consistent misfires in smith carbines. have to use the RWS caps for reliability.

Fly
03-29-2013, 10:24 AM
consistent misfires in smith carbines. have to use the RWS caps for reliability.

I hear they are very good cap.But where to you find them?
Fly

Hambone
03-29-2013, 12:46 PM
I hear they are very good cap.But where to you find them?
Fly

Look here. http://www.blackpowderva.com/

iron brigade
03-29-2013, 07:33 PM
shooting an original Austrian Lorenz today with whats left of my cci caps. had 5 misfires and several hangfires. junk!

Southron Sr.
03-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Sounds like you have those CCI "Re-enactor" Musket Caps. They are totally worthless.

Back Creek Gun Shop has the RWS Musket Caps in now. Suggest you get some of them. At least the Krauts still know how to make a decent musket cap.

Southron Sr.
03-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Here is the link to Back Creek Gun Shop:

http://www.blackpowderva.com/

iron brigade
03-29-2013, 09:34 PM
I have some of the german caps, shooting the cci caps up to get rid of them. I heard tell back creek is offering them for $65 a 1000 for skirmishers.