PDA

View Full Version : Hege has Remington Maximum revolvers in stock

Mike McDaniel
03-27-2013, 11:00 AM
http://waffen-hege.de/300241-remington-maximum-kal44-vorderlader-revolver

These are the top-quality guns. Sight them in, maybe get the trigger weight increased, and shoot the 10-ring out. Around $1700 delivered. Made by Feinwerkbau, actually (and you can get spare parts from FWB). When I was doing Arms Inspection at last year's World Championships, probably 90% of the replica revolvers were these guns. It's why they are nearly impossible to find used in this country...the shooters who have them are more likely to part with an arm or leg.

No, I'm not a dealer. Yes, you have to order directly from Hege in Germany.

macvcallsign
03-28-2013, 01:38 PM
Mike,
Would these be approved by the small arms committee?

Dennis Schuler
4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA
1561V

Maillemaker
03-28-2013, 03:33 PM
I believe Hege is listed as an approved maker of Remington New Model (1858) revolvers in the Approved Arms rules. I think it is on page 18.

Steve

Mike McDaniel
03-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Hege revolvers are approved.

Eddie Bruner, 12222
03-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Mike,

Maybe you can give me some insight on buying a Hege Maximum. I have contacted Hege in the past, and again yesterday.

They stick firm to their policy that "they will not export goods to the USA".

-Eddie

Maillemaker
03-29-2013, 12:34 PM
Well, that's a downer.

Steve

Bullseye54
03-29-2013, 01:28 PM
Yep, received an E-mail Thursday, " We do not export to the usa, Hege " I guess they aren't very big on public relations with an e-mail like that... Can't imagine why a company wouldn't want to sell their products in the USA... Joe

Mike McDaniel
03-29-2013, 02:53 PM
I'd e-mail their contact Hege at info@hege-arms.com. Black powder firearms don't require ATF paperwork, I'm not sure they understand that.

I've got a query in.

Mike McDaniel
03-29-2013, 02:54 PM
If all else fails, get a FWB Rogers & Spencer.

Eddie Bruner, 12222
03-29-2013, 02:59 PM
I have emailed and called them several times over the past few years, and they have no interest in exporting to the USA. I'n your post you stated a approximate delivered price. I took it you had experience, or knowledge of them being shipped to or sold in the USA.

Were you just assuming they did, or do you know something I don't?

-Eddie

Mike McDaniel
03-29-2013, 06:49 PM
I bought mine about 20 years ago. I'm on their e-mail list, though - and when the information came through, I passed it on. I know people have been looking.

The other two options I'd consider are the FWB R&S, and talking to Andreas Baumkircher about one of his revolvers. Baumkircher is doing a complete rebuild of a Pietta...leaving nothing but the frame. But you would have to get an individual approval for the gun.

Eddie Bruner, 12222
03-29-2013, 08:51 PM
The FWB R&S I have already. I have wanted a Hege Remington for awhile, but I have never had the chance to buy one. Thanks for posting anyway.

-Eddie

Ron/The Old Reb
03-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Mike
I know that you have one and Andy also had one. So if Hage dose not import to the US, how did you and Andy get yours? Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike McDaniel
03-30-2013, 02:34 PM
We ordered directly from Germany. No problems.

Stefan
04-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Personally I think you should be happy that you don't have to interact with Hege.It is also worth pointing out that these Remingtons are NOT made by Feinwerkbau. If you read their own description on the web link provided in the initial post, they are Ubertis that have been worked over by a German gun smith by the name of Klaus Mumme. Doesn't mean much to me... I can buy a Uberti and give it to Rob Lewis and save money and agravation.

Mike McDaniel
04-13-2013, 11:38 AM
The older guns certainly were made by Feinwerkbau - that's where I'm getting spare parts from.

tony 1st regt
04-16-2013, 11:54 PM
did a search on the gunsmith, maybe you can deal directly with him..

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AoRPdxnVyRPLtNmuWXpaWBGevZx4?p=Klaus+M umme&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-900

Maillemaker
04-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Great information, Tony and Stefan!

Steve

Mike McDaniel
04-17-2013, 10:45 AM
If you're willing to work with a European gunsmith, I recommend Andreas Baumkircher. (http://baumkircher.at/Products.aspx?screen=Products.aspx&lang=en) You'll have to specify a 1kg trigger (he usually does half that), but his triggers are the best I've ever seen.

le piaf
04-20-2013, 10:39 AM
I am the owner since twenty years of an Hege army match maximum , it's a wonderful revover , however i'm not sure that today they have the same level of quality , for half of the money , Artax (italy) offer remington match that are pretty close of my old hege .
I have no personnal or financial interst with Artax Company ;)
http://www.artax.net/

Chuck Garvey 11311
04-30-2013, 10:53 AM
I went to their web site to try and buy one. When you try to fill in address for shipping, the only block it will let you check is factory pickup. I sent them an e mail saying that I wanted to buy one. I reminded them that there are no restrictions on black powder pistols in the US and this was their reply:

because of European restrictions in export of guns we do not sell any guns to USA (only to EU).
best regards from HEGE Team

Don Dixon
04-30-2013, 08:10 PM
While I was in Germany last year shooting at the world muzzle loading championships, I inquired with Franconia Jagd about buying a Rogers and Spencer reproduction made by Feinwerkbau. They responded that they could sell me a single shot muzzle loading pistol without any restrictions, but under new European rules a revolver would have to be shipped to a licensed dealer in the U.S. You might discuss such a shipment with Hege, since they don't have a dealer in the U.S.

That muzzle loading arms are legal in the U.S. is immaterial. Canada, for example, regards original and reproduction M1858 Remington revolvers, and single shot caplock and flintlock pistols, as "restricted" firearms; the same category as modern semi-auto pistols. When we go to Canada to shoot the Pacific Zone international matches, we have to have authorizations to transport (ATT) from the Mounties. They authorize you to enter at a specified border crossing point, travel to your hotel, travel from your hotel to the range and back, and from your hotel to the specified border crossing point; all within a specified time frame. Nothing else. If you cross over into a second jurisdiction in travel you need a second ATT.

When you travel overseas with arms - even black powder ones - you're not in Kansas anymore Toto. In Singapore they can hang you for possession of one round of ammunition.

Regards,
Don Dixon
2881V

Mike McDaniel
04-30-2013, 10:48 PM
That being said, there are at least two dealers in the USA that I know of who carry the FWB Rogers & Spencer. They are available.

Don's right, though. Europe is a patchwork of laws. Though there are frequent reports on Target Talk of European shooters being able to ship firearms across borders for repair. Frankly, I don't think the current Hege management is as familiar with U.S. law as the old management used to be.

RaiderANV
05-01-2013, 12:08 AM
Can they be purchased legally in Germany by German citizens and brought back to the US in their locked suitcase under the plane?

Mike McDaniel
05-01-2013, 08:16 PM
Probably, but I think there may be paperwork involved on their end.

Different countries define "antique" arms in different ways. I know there are several nations that consider muzzle-loading arms exactly like cartridge guns. Others consider single-shot muzzle-loaders as unregulated, but revolvers and breechloading carbines are regulated. When we went to France, the Customs officials opened up one case, took a look, asked "are they all like this?"...and waved the entire U.S. Team through.