PDA

View Full Version : New guy with question?

Fly
03-25-2013, 12:02 PM
GREAT SITE, I never knew about this place till today.Now for my question.I bought a 1863 paper cutting Sharps,Italy.
I have not gotten it yet.But I can't seem to find musket caps now.Can a guy use #11 magnum caps instead?:confused:

Fly

Michael Bodner
03-25-2013, 03:37 PM
I doubt that you'd be able to fit a pistol cap onto a musket nipple.

You would need to change the nipple at the very least. Of course, if you have the nipple and can get a few caps, all you can do is try!

Of course, if it won't go off, you'll need to clear the barrel, so have some compressed air available to blow through...

Others on the forum might have something to add - I'm just offering a 'probably not' opinion...

-Mike

Edwin Flint
03-26-2013, 10:31 PM
There are number 11 nipples that fit where musket nipples go. I know I owned a Mississippi with duplicate set of musket and pistol cap nipples. Main thing is make sure the threads match up.

Southron Sr.
03-27-2013, 10:26 PM
I would advise you to stick with Musket Caps.

You can always order musket caps from "Midway USA" or "Mid-South shooters Supply." Just avoid the CCI Re-Enactor Musket Caps as they are very, very weak. The German RWS Musket Caps are fine.

Anyway, I don't know how well #11 Magnum Percussion Caps will work-because I sometimes have trouble getting my Pedersoli Sharps to shoot using regular musket caps. This occurs when I have a build-up of fouling in the Sharp's flash channel.