PDA

View Full Version : Correct M.1841 long-range fore sight

Dave Fox
03-24-2013, 04:34 PM
Pards: what is the correct fore sight for the Harpers Ferry altered Mississippi with large ladder-type 1855 rear sight, sabre bayonet lug, shortened front band, left in .54 calibre? College Hill Armoury illustrates one with the tiny original brass blade sight. Others I've seen seem to have a more substantial fore sight. Any pictures, if other than the brass blade? Thanks.

GPM
03-25-2013, 09:26 AM
If it takes the 1855 rear sight that is screw attatched it will also take the 1855 rifle front sight and bayonet lug. There are at least 2 earlier versions of the long range sight that were soldered in place and used the original brass blade front sight and a bayonet lug with a guide.

GPM
03-25-2013, 09:37 AM
When I say 2 earlier versions of the long range sight I'm refering to the enfield style rear sight. Not including the Benton rear sight.

John Holland
03-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Dave Fox - If you referring to the example on the website with the rear sight graduated "2,3,4" on the sidewall, it is correct as shown.

JDH

Dave Fox
03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
John; how may I access a website with pictures of the HF modified m.1841s still in .54 w/ ladder-type rear sight and sabre bayonet lug? I'm particularly interested in any substitutions to the original Mississippi's brass blade fore sight. GPM; I've seen at least one apparently un-tampered-with HF modified '41 in .54 w/ ladder rear sight and original brass blade fore sight. are you indicating there was a vaiant with 1855 rifle foresight, too? Thanks.

Blair
03-25-2013, 01:24 PM
Dave,

I can supply you with the basic information.
There are 6 pages, one with the long and short nose front band and 5 pages with two firearms on each page. (note, these are not the "Spec Sheets" for each model variant)
The information on each arm must be read very closely and compared with each other to find the correct model info.
If John can't get back to you soon... please e-mail me (btaylor18 @ cfl.rr.com) and I will send this info to you (remove the spaces on either side of the @ symbol)
I hope this helps,
Blair

GPM
03-25-2013, 02:28 PM
Dave, yes there was. There were several variations of the M41 adapted to long range sight. The information Blair is offering would cover these I'm sure, as well as the spec sheets John can provide.American Military Shoulder Arms, vol 3 covers the variations well. There is another book with good color photographs that covers them in less detail, but I can't remember the title off hand.