PDA

View Full Version : 1855 Type I Long barrel Brass Nosecap

David Disher 12143
03-21-2013, 12:45 PM
All:

I'm in the Haystack, just cant find the %$@*& needle. I have been to Lodgewood, S&S, Taylors and the Rifle Shoppe. ((Rifle Shoppe had only a rough casting, and that would be last resort). Does anyone have the 7/8" long Brass nosecap for the 55?

Your help or guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

David Disher
110th OVI

Blair
03-21-2013, 02:42 PM
David,

The type I 1855 brass mounted Rifle nose cap should be 1.375 inches in length.

The short variation of this brass nose cap will be found on the "Fayetteville" variation of the Harpers Ferry 1855 Rifle type I
I hope you find this helpful in locating what you need?
Blair

BADSHOT
03-21-2013, 02:48 PM
Give Nick Brevoort a try- 513-232-7045

Blair
03-21-2013, 03:21 PM
Dave,

After rereading your posting... I realized you may have been asking for the brass nose cap for the "long barreled" Rifle Musket M-1855, aka, as the "three bander"?

The '55 variants are known today as the type I and type II Rifle Muskets, along with the Richmond Rifle Muskets. Each use the same type of brass nose cap.
Lodgewood, S & S, and Nick Brevoort, among some others, should all have this type style brass nose cap.
Blair

David Disher 12143
03-21-2013, 03:22 PM
Blair:

This is not the brass mounted rifle. It is (quoted off the NSSA approval form): " Type of Arm: Artillery Rifle
Model: 1855 Type I (Long Barrel Version).

This gun has all iron hardware including Trigger guard assembly, Butt Plate, and states Nose Cap must be brass. Have an original model of the weapon, identical to the one I am building, and it is the 7/8" brass nosecap.

Thanks,

David Disher

Ok, just read your second post...Nick didnt have one, S&S sent me the long one,Lodgewood does not have it, Rifle Shoppe only a rough cast, and Taylors has none in stock. This is the 2 band Artillery Rifle.

Blair
03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
David,

OK. Now I have an idea of what it is you want and wish to accompish.
Long barreled version brass nose cap wont fit on the Artillery (cut down to rifle length) without modification.
Try the repro 'Zouave" brass nose cap? (just a thought!)
This nose cap might be a bit large for the 'cut down' three band barrel dia., but it can be squeezed down to fit. (another modification true, but it might be better to size down ...than stretch open?)
Blair