PDA

View Full Version : Wilkinson bullet results

medic302
03-18-2013, 03:22 PM
hello everyone,
we finally had a brake in the crappy iowa weather we've been having, so, yesterday i spent some time at the range with the wilkinsons in .577 that i cast up about a month ago. for those that don't know, they are 418grn and cast from pure lead. i dipped them in straight crisco due to the colder temps, and i shot them from my 3 band pedersoli enfield. the load was 65 grns of 3F Swiss.

i also chronographed the shots as well
here is a 5 shot string
1295 fps
1286 fps
1299 fps
1264 fps
1321 fps

some of these had a little less than perfect bases which i believe contributes to the velocity variations.

we have two targets, the first at 50yrds and the second at 100yrds. the conditions were 36degreesF, overcast with variable winds from the southeast.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp35/siuforester/stuff006.jpg

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp35/siuforester/stuff005.jpg

Maillemaker
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
Good shooting! Was this off hand or from a bench?

Steve

medic302
03-18-2013, 03:24 PM
next i plan on shooting at 200, 300 yrds once i have more wilkinsons cast up. thoughts and opinions guys and gals? so far i must say that i am pleased with the performance.

medic302
03-18-2013, 03:26 PM
off a bench. i just adjusted the amount of front sight, when i moved the sight to the 1rst posistion the rounds were going over the top of the target board at 100yrds.

Tom Magno, 9269V
03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Very nice! Did you try any other powder charges? My .54 with the Wilkinson will bench a silver dollar at 50 yards with only 38 grains 3F. I shoot matches with 43 grains usually just to have a little more margin on windy days -

Your group may tighten up considerably with a lighter charge. Also, I learned NOT to thump the ramrod on the bullet to seat it. Just a light tap to ensure it's fully down on the powder. Thumping it both deforms the bullet nose, and also tends to tilt the bullet. This after many rounds of experimenting. A smooth stroke of the ramrod until it seats, then just a very light tap to ensure it's not in the tulip and following the ramrod back up. Good luck!

Lou Lou Lou
03-19-2013, 08:09 AM
FWIW I find that outcomes vary with temperature. My normal lube works fine from april to october. When it is 32 degress, group size goes to heck. Just my experience

medic302
03-19-2013, 06:44 PM
tom, when ramming i treat the bullets just like a match rifle. one gentle push on the rod with just enough pressure to seat the bullet, no thumping. the only powder charge i tried was 65. thank you for your advice, next time i will try down to 38grns and see.

Maillemaker
03-20-2013, 10:07 AM
My bullets fit so snugly in my bore that after a couple of shots I can no longer push the bullet down all the way with a single push, particularly with my carbine that is shorter and thus closer to the ground and so you are no longer pulling down on the ramrod but trying to push it. I frequently have to back up the rammer and get a slight "running start" to push the bullet all the way home.

Just last weekend I had a hang fire from cleaning, and I used my CO2 blower to blow the bullet out of the barrel. The nose was not in any bad shape at all from my ramming efforts. If anything, the cup on the end of the ramrod smoothed out the cast nose of my bullet and made it look nicer.

I'm shooting an RCBS Hodgdon sized to .576.

Steve

Tom Magno, 9269V
03-20-2013, 10:42 AM
My bullets fit so snugly in my bore that after a couple of shots I can no longer push the bullet down all the way with a single push, particularly with my carbine that is shorter and thus closer to the ground and so you are no longer pulling down on the ramrod but trying to push it. I frequently have to back up the rammer and get a slight "running start" to push the bullet all the way home.

Just last weekend I had a hang fire from cleaning, and I used my CO2 blower to blow the bullet out of the barrel. The nose was not in any bad shape at all from my ramming efforts. If anything, the cup on the end of the ramrod smoothed out the cast nose of my bullet and made it look nicer.

I'm shooting an RCBS Hodgdon sized to .576.

Steve

Your LUBE is failing you Steve. I have no more difficulty with loading the first round as with the 10th. I use MCM, and for the Wilkinson just dip it (do not use a Lubesizer). For the minnies, I use a NorthEast Trader inside-outside luber (which works great by the way). The issue isn't so much a deformed nose as it is cocking the bullet in the bore. there isn't much bearing surface on the Wilkinson, and if sized for a barely-slip fit, the chances of it not being centered in the bore go up with ramming hard. BTDT.

Maillemaker
03-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Your LUBE is failing you Steve. I have no more difficulty with loading the first round as with the 10th.

Possibly. I'm using a Criso/Beeswax recipie with some vegetable oil thrown in to soften it up. I made a big batch two years ago and I'm only half way through it. :)

Steve

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
03-20-2013, 07:03 PM
Tom,

I'm with you about the lube. I also use the Inside/Outside luber with MCM lube for the minnies and love it. Just as you said the last round of shooting a whole match, goes down just as easy as the first one, I don't have to swab or brush my musket during the whole match. I am trying to convert a team member to MCM, but it's like trying to pull teeth, and an act of congress to get him to change. He also uses crisco and beeswax formula, and at times has issues. I use MCM for everything.

Maillemaker
03-20-2013, 09:11 PM
What is "MCM"?

Steve

Muley Gil
03-20-2013, 09:44 PM
What is "MCM"?

Steve

It is a brand of lube, sold by most of the sutlers at the Fort during a National:

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AgzZWo56kq7dhX5lMYb56QebvZx4?p=MCM+bul let+lube&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-200

Maillemaker
03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
Your Yahoo search is producing much the same result as my Google search did.

Lots of people talking about MCM lube, but I cannot find a link to anyone actually selling it.

I don't go to the Nationals, so I'd like to find an online source in order to try it out.

Steve

Wayne Shaw, 1985V
03-21-2013, 04:32 PM
Steve/all MCM is sold by North East Trade company. John De Walt There is a link on the N-SSA home page under sutlers. Great lube and when used with his inside/outside luber even better. Hope this helps. Wayne Shaw Harlans Light Cav TDYT

Maillemaker
03-21-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the source!

I found their web site:

http://northeasttradeco.com/

They've got a real skeleton product listing on their web site though.

I'll give them a call.

Steve