PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Tailor? Maybe...

Southron Sr.
03-13-2013, 01:34 AM
I ahve finally decided trying to make up a pair of Civil War pants for Skirmishing. Have never made garments before but figure that I can do it IF I take my time and go slowly. The good news is that pattersn and cloth is cheap, so I can afford to mess up several pairs if that is what it takes to learn the art!

Michael Bodner
03-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Heck, it took me 10 years of sitting on a pattern before I made my first shirt. Now, I've made 2 of them and have fabric to make 2 more!

Would love to steal the pattern. If you feel energetic, trace it out on butcher-block paper and stuff it into a 8x11 envelope and mail it to me! I'll pay for the postage!

Good luck with the project!

BTW: What kind of fabric and where did you get it?

Maillemaker
03-13-2013, 01:43 PM
There are places like Wambaugh White & Co. that sell kits that inlcude the fabric pre-cut out, and thread and beeswax. All you need is a needle.

Steve

Blair
03-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Southeron Sr.,

Just a suggestion on my part... but you may want to build your first pair out of a cheap cloth (muslin ?) first. This will help you work out any fitting details before you get into the more expensive historic types of cloth.
My best and good luck.
Blair

R. McAuley 3014V
04-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Hey Broy'er Brannen,

I got a pair of sky blue demin pants that your ex-wife made (I won't say how many years ago that was, but before you left your momma's house) that is if you're still looking for a pattern. They don't fit me no more.

Southron Sr.
04-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Dear Richard:

I appreciate your offer, however, the ex-wife has agreed to make me a new pair of pants!!!

She and my current wife have become good friends. Whenever they get together they both rave on and on about what a wonderful fella I am!

Hope to see you at the next Denhamville Skirmish. This is definitely the closest Skirmish to Savannah.

Blair
04-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Southeron Sr.,

Your ex made some really fine clothing.
I still have a 1851 Pattern gray wool flannel **** she made perhaps 35 years ago that I love.
I only wish there were a pocket in the shirt.
My best.
Blair