PDA

View Full Version : Things which are made of pure lead

Jim Barber
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
I just got a line on a pile of X Ray machine counterweights. They're lead, but short of buying one and casting a bullet with it, I have no idea if it's pure enough for muzzleloading. I recognize, and am continually both amused and amazed by the vast and varied wisdom of the membership.However, I don't go so far as to expect anyone to know something as minutely specific as whether x ray machine counterweights are made of pure lead.

But it did get me to thinking: aside from lead shielding and old lead pipe (minus the joints, I've heard), anyone know of any particular items which are reliably made of the pure stuff? Sometimes you come across junk/scrap stuff on craigslist pretty dang cheap...

Thanks for any ideas!

Jim B.
110th OVI
Grove City, OH

Rich Foster
03-11-2013, 06:22 PM
X-ray lead would be ok for a breechloading gun only. It is the green glow in your barrel which may concern you. Rich

Blair
03-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Rich,

Great reply!

Lou Lou Lou
03-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Roofing leadSlower basinsAll pure lead

gemmer
03-12-2013, 07:39 AM
I tried lead sheet used to line walls in x-ray rooms. No good.

Duane

Eddie Bruner, 12222
03-12-2013, 08:15 AM
YMMV, but I have had good results with X ray room Lead being pure, or very close to it. I once bought 800 pound of the stuff, and it was soft and shot extremely well.

-Eddie

Michael T.
03-12-2013, 08:41 AM
Shouldn't have to worry about the green glow... I have worked in two Nuclear power plants, only glow on full moons..http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

Ron/The Old Reb
03-12-2013, 08:52 AM
About twenty five years ago I got hold of some X ray lead bricks it shot good in my musket. If you can fine a place that recycles old car battery's is a good source for pure lead. Look in the yellow pages and fine an independent plumber and call him to see if he has any old led pipe that he took out of an old house. Most plumber save it and sell it. I have gotten lead this way.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
03-12-2013, 09:16 AM
'Always' is a impossible standard to meet. X-Ray Room lead and old water pipe are usually pure, but I've seen some cases where they weren't.

The only way to be certain is to get a lead hardness tester. I like this one: http://lbtmoulds.com/hardtester.shtml These things pay for themselves in short order if you can find a source of free lead, like the two stained glass window shops in my town.

Jim Barber
03-12-2013, 06:04 PM
'Always' is a impossible standard to meet. X-Ray Room lead and old water pipe are usually pure, but I've seen some cases where they weren't.

The only way to be certain is to get a lead hardness tester. I like this one: http://lbtmoulds.com/hardtester.shtml These things pay for themselves in short order if you can find a source of free lead, like the two stained glass window shops in my town.

Gary,

Interesting tool, and fairly priced. Good to hear it works reliably. The Lee tester I've read about got seriously mixed reviews. Google "brinell tester" and the "real" ones are designed & priced for scientists and governments-- 4 figures and up. Ouch.

I was thinking maybe a creative (cheap) fellow could make himself a reliable BHN tester/hardness comparator-- I happen to have a few extra bottle cappers and wine-corkers laying around here. But I am NOT a hoarder. Anyway, I was thinking if I was to replace the handle with a torque wrench and affix a small ball bearing where the capper head normally resides, I could indent a piece of lead (use the same torque each time) several times & then measure the indentations, drop the largest & smallest #s and average the 3 or 4 in the middle. Calibration would be relative-- use known soft lead & known not-so-soft to build up the baseline measurements.
The perks of this rig would be 1) it's free 2) it's portable and 3) since the bottle capper is adjustable for different heights, you wouldn't need a certain size of lead to test. Even a giant slab could be accommodated. Plus it's free.
Just an idea. Who knows, maybe I'll get bored and start rummaging the junk drawers to finally build the thing.

BTW, anyone have experience casting with lead window sash weights? I've heard conflicting info on their suitability.

Thanks!
Jim

Jim Barber
03-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Shouldn't have to worry about the green glow... I have worked in two Nuclear power plants, only glow on full moons..http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/images/smilies/icon_lol.gif

So does the inherent sighting advantage afforded by irradiated lead disqualify it from competition? That glowing green dot could cut through all the smoke and haze for enhanced targeting. I don't see anything in the rules about Gamma Rays...

This topic may have just landed in John Holland Territory!

Cheers!
Jim B.

Lou Lou Lou
03-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Sash weights were usually cast iron

Fearless Frank
03-12-2013, 09:32 PM
I met a guy who replaced icotope(I can't spell good) machines they are used to use in hospitals for cancer treatments. These macines weigh about 400 lbs. a piece. Well he sold me 20 of them over a years time. I have tested the lead with a saeco device and it reads minus 3 saeco or about 0 on the regular scale. I'm not selling any but if you ask around you might find someone who decommissions these machines and is willing to sell them. They come apart but the smallest pieces are 30lbs. You need a big pot.

Michael T.
03-14-2013, 10:29 PM
Don't think it is a problem as I glow not the lead...:D

ken s
03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Ok this is a great thread...I bought five 'bricks' of lead at a plumbing supply house. bad news...$120
he will sell me one at a time for $30. about 5 pounds. a .58 mini goes through them fast.
the good news is my original Springfield type 3 1863 put three shots in one 1+1/4 inch hole at 50 yds yesterday with that lead...
so, testing for pure lead ....fingernail scratches it its' lead???? any other test? Ken

Lou Lou Lou
03-20-2013, 09:25 AM
You need a lead hardness tester. The ingots from the plumbing supply should be pure and test out at 5 bhn. I just went through hell with hard lead. Was shooting same bullet gun load combo for 30 years. Had 7 keyholes during last nationals. Thick skirt requires pure lead.

Michael Bodner
03-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Lou,

Please don't wear a skirt. Thick or not....

Edwin Flint
03-21-2013, 02:09 AM
For those that have access to containers that radiological isotopes are shipped in, don't bother. Much to hard. When you use the fingernail test, it will pass in the container's original form. After you melt it to ingots, it becomes very hard and tested out to have about 10% zinc. Might make a good cannon round though.

papabang
03-24-2013, 02:45 PM
If you live where there is a body of water that is large enough for sailboats, some of the older ones have lead ingots for ballast. I have one but it weighs in at 75 pounds and so far my other supply is keeping me in shot.

macvcallsign
03-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Hi Jim,

Get a hardness tester. Pays for it self in no time at all. I use the Lee tester and I have found it to be ok. Lead pipe is good, just cut the joints out. Sheet lead is good, have used thicknesses up to 1". Scratching with your fingernail is not a good test since you can also mark lead with a hardness up to 15 bhn(#2 Alloy) with your finger nail! Just not as deep a mark.

Wheel weights and range lead will run about 11 to 15 on the bhn scale and should not be used for hollow based bullets. Can be used in smoothbores and some breech loaders depending on the barrel twist. Have not run across the item you have acquired but if it was used as a weight it may have some alloy for hardness in order to keep its shape. Just a thought.

See you on the line.

Dennis Schuler
4th Kentucky Cavalry, CSA
1561V

Lou Lou Lou
03-25-2013, 04:24 PM
Some sailboat keels were mde from lead

Fred Jr
03-25-2013, 08:31 PM
The lead that I bring to Nationals or other skirmishes is pure virgin lead. Always the same, always pure. I will be taking orders soon. No need for a lead tester with this lead.

Fred (The Leadman) Herlinger
1097 12TH PA