PDA

View Full Version : Maynard Help

Brownie 12th U.S.
03-08-2013, 08:05 PM
At the Fall Nationals I acquired a John Bly barrel for my Maynard. It has .517 lands, so I figured go .002 over to .519. I already had the little RCBS Hogdgon mould in .520 and bought a .520 from Mouse Moulds.

I cast up a bunch of each and sized them down to .519 and started loading tonight for my first trip to the range.

The short of it is that the bullets won't fit in the cases I have.

So, does somebody sell larger cases, and would they still fit in the chamber? Should I size to .517, and would those fit in the cases I have? Any other advice?

Thanks.

Brownie 12th U.S.
03-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Looking around at sutlers, does anybody think the plastic cases would work? Any experience with those?

John Bly
03-08-2013, 09:22 PM
If you have a .517 sizer go ahead and try some. The .517 groove dimension I gave you is the deepest point in the groove. Much of the groove is not that deep. If you can't get accuracy with .517 try .518. They should seat in fired cases and still chamber. If need be I can open the chamber a little for you. Charlie Hahn sells cases custom sized for your bullet and chamber if you elect to go that route. If you have any problems I'll try to help you through them. I stand behind what I sell.

Brownie 12th U.S.
03-08-2013, 09:49 PM
If you have a .517 sizer go ahead and try some. The .517 groove dimension I gave you is the deepest point in the groove. Much of the groove is not that deep. If you can't get accuracy with .517 try .518. They should seat in fired cases and still chamber. If need be I can open the chamber a little for you. Charlie Hahn sells cases custom sized for your bullet and chamber if you elect to go that route. If you have any problems I'll try to help you through them. I stand behind what I sell.
Mr. Bly,

Frankly, sir, your reputation should stand without question or blemish. Your barrel is one of the most exquisitely built items I have had the honor and privilege to own. I named you so others would understand the quality I started with. I meant no disrespect to you or you product. I hope you understand that.

So, this weekend I'll load up some rounds sized down to .514 (my only other option) to expand the cases. It may have been a mistake to obtain the Maynard loading tool which includes a sizing option. Snugging them down may have done me in. If the .519 loads OK after that I'll move forward, otherwise I'll obtain a .517 sizer. I am committed to your barrel, it's a work of art. I really do thank you for your prompt response and useful suggestions. In this day and age, it's a special man that stands behind his work as you do. You are a credit to our sport.

Rich Foster
03-08-2013, 10:42 PM
.519 should fit in the plastic maynard case. I have some old plastic cases in shop and a .519 fits. Plastic cases don't last very long before touch hole opens up. I was given plastic cases could not tell any difference than with brass except there full capacity. One good thing is the plastic has is a thick rim which seals the breech very well. Rich

ms3635v
03-09-2013, 09:38 AM
I load Moose Moulds .520, 385 grain bullet sized to .518 in my full capacity brass Maynard cases with no problem and use 35 grains of 3f and achieve excellent results.

Lou Lou Lou
03-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Try a couple of virgin unfired cases. Load them up and fire form by shooting. Then try the .517 heads. all you need to reload them is your thumb. Don't need a loading tool.

Brownie 12th U.S.
03-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Thanks all.

I want on a brass stretching exercise at the range, today. Got through about 35 when I started having misfires. Then realized the stuff i needed to inspect and clean was in the other range bag. I am starting to think it's me.

New .517 and .518 sizers on order as well as some plastic tubes. So much stuff to try.

Watch this space for updates.