PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Band Spring Channels

David Disher 12143
03-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Hey all:

I am in the process of building a 55 artillery, and just wondered what the consensus was on the best way to cut the inlets for band springs. I have tried a number of manual techniques in the past, and before starting this one, I wondered how others have done it to yield a nice result.

Thanks in advance.

David Disher
110th OVI

GPM
03-06-2013, 09:26 AM
After drilling for the spring pin, I place the spring in the stock , flush with stock and trace with a very sharp X-Acto knife, then remove the wood with a very small chissel.

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
03-06-2013, 10:18 AM
After trying the Exacto knife method, I bit the bullet and bought as set of these: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/Special_tools_for:_Nuts_and_saddles/Micro_Chisels.html

Drill the hole where you want it, insert and trace the outline, use the Exacto knife to cut the edges, then these micro chisels to gouge out the wood. Be sure to get the offset shanks. I think this is as easy as it gets.

David Disher 12143
03-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Thanks, Gary. I have used the manual approach with chisels before...was hoping someone might have milled these things, and was looking for an approach from that direction. Much appreciated!

D

Southron Sr.
03-07-2013, 01:46 PM
[1] I locate where the Band Spring Hole is supposed to go in the stock, drill the hole.

[2] Install the Band Spring in the hole,

[3] Make sure that the Band Spring is parallell with the top of the stock above it.

[4] Hold free end of Band Spring down so it dosen't move, trace around sides of Band Spring with point of X-Acto Knife.

[5] Remove Band Spring from stock.

[6] I carefully place edge of a BRAND NEW Single Edge Razor Blade on X-Acto Knife mark.

[7] Carefully tap Single Edge Razor Blade into wood. This makes a "clean, straight cut" into the wood.

[8] Obviously, you will have to make more than one razor blade cut for each side of the Barrel Band Spring channel.

[9] If you drive the razor blade too deep, use a pair of pliers to pull it out of the wood. DO NOT twist the blade or it will break!

[10] Then, using a wood chisel that has its width ground to match the width of the band spring channel, remove the wood from the channel.

You will note that with the wood on the sides of the Barrel Band Channel pre-cut with the Single Edge Razor Blade, using a chisel to remove the remaining wood in the Band Spring Channel is much easier-plus you are guaranteed to have "Razor Straight" sides for the Band Spring Channel.

R Filbert
03-07-2013, 09:05 PM
Dave -General tools used to make very good wood chisles with nice fat handles to fit youre palm nicley - Do as the others said but make sure to lay youre stock on its flat on the left so ye holes come out straight- use blocking and a press to drill the holes and be careful not to drill ito the barre chanel- looks messy and lifts yer barrel- Place the spring in the stock and use a very sharp pencil to outline the spring and stay inside the line untill you get a good fit The 5 tools have a3/8 staightedge a V gouge a small U shape that is just small the spring size and a large 3/8 gouge and a 1/2 slant angle edge. You may still find em on the web. I have used em on many stocks and they work great but you must be patient! Should you need any other help PM me I have built many muskets. R Filbert Capt. Hazelwood Vol. 7519